You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-21 23:02:13

gbursson

Arch Linux as VirtualBox host / WinXP as guest OS feasible?

Hi all,

I am planning to move entirely to Linux based computer, but want to be able to play my beloved WildMana mod of Civ IV as well (about the one and only game I play nowadays). Is installing XP as VBox guest OS + Steam/Civ IV on top of that feasible? Would it run fast enough? Would it run Steam at all?

My comp is:
Dell XPS -> 2.9GHz DualCore proc, GeForce 8700M SLI, 4GB RAM, and BroadCom chip which gave me major headache on previous Arch installation - fortunately now I will be running wired internet connection. I now it is decent enough to run Arch+KDE et consortes, but would it be enough to run VBox/WinXP on top of that?

Also, what's the story with graphic Nvidia drivers? Are they any better?

Sorry for the chaotic post but I do not know where to begin wink

Thanks,
Gbursson.

#2 2010-11-21 23:26:06

Envil

Re: Arch Linux as VirtualBox host / WinXP as guest OS feasible?

Running VBox on that should be no problem at all.
However Steam also works quite well on wine and Civ IV from what i saw as well, so you can probably skip the whole VBox part and just use wine instead.
As for the Nvidia drivers, if you want 3D acceleration you will certainly want those.
The open source drivers do have some experimental 3D accel. but the chance of that actually working with your game is rather low.

Check http://appdb.winehq.org/ for your game(s) to see if/how they run and how to configure it to work on wine.
If it doesnt work at all on wine it probably wont in VBox either (since you need some wine dll's there for 3D stuff).

#3 2010-11-21 23:35:18

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

For Civ IV I'd definitely recommend wine, it runs at near-native speeds (good enough for civ IV, probably not good enough for quake etc). VirtualBox would just be SLOW, its more for apps than games.

And yes, you HAVE to use the nvidia drivers, nouveau just isn't there yet if you want to game.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-11-22 01:02:32

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

civ4 probably won't run in virtualbox (it won't just be slow), but it will work well in wine

steam will work fine with nouveau, but not civ4 (nouveau barely supports 3d right now)

Last edited by thestinger (2010-11-22 01:03:33)

#5 2010-11-22 09:24:29

gbursson

Thanks for the information, now it starts to look good smile

Thestinger: If I understand you correctly, 'wined' Steam should run fine even with nvidia drivers, and on top of that CivIV?

Gbursson

#6 2010-11-22 12:49:40

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

gbursson wrote:

Thestinger: If I understand you correctly, 'wined' Steam should run fine even with nvidia drivers, and on top of that CivIV?

Steam via Wine will run fine with nvidia drivers. It probably will not accelerate anything with nouveau. As previously mentioned, nvidia drivers are basically your only choice right now for acceleration. May change in a year or so....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2010-11-22 12:52:09

Vermillion

I can run civ IV without any issues with wine. I never tested VBOX but i assume it's to slow.

Board footer