You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-25 04:40:47

themattbeballin

WINE and my Dual-screens

I have looked around, quite a bit, haven't found a answer that i've been really looking for...

I'm a big gamer, and I run two 17" flatpanel monitors at 1280x1024 on a NVIDIA GeForce GTS250.

When I run apps in WINE, it tries pushing each app out in 2560x1024, such as World of Warcraft... now, for WoW, it doesn't bother me. because my UI scales to 1280x1024 for some reason anyway.

As for games, like PoRTaL and Left4Dead.... it's trying to squeeze 2560x1024 into one monitor, making them pretty much unable to play..

I have tried emulating the app in a virtual environment, at 1280x1024... and I really don't wanna disable my other monitor every time.... Because I use them for Cheats, or a guide, whatever I tend to use it for...

Is there a way to push these apps into 1280x1024 instead of my dual-screen resolution?

It's one of the main issues for me keeping Winblows 7 on my computer... pretty sure once I figure this out, i can get rid of it.

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, probably wasn't searching the right terms and what not.

#2 2010-11-25 14:56:24

FarmerF

Re: WINE and my Dual-screens

Can you run the game in non full screen mode? Possibly this would help as the game would not use the max available resolution.

As far as I know wine does not deal with resolutions itself but uses the window manager for that. Could you tell which one you use (gnome,kde etc) and how you setup dual monitor (xinerama,xrandr, nvidia config tool) ?

#3 2010-11-25 15:26:17

themattbeballin

FarmerF wrote:

Can you run the game in non full screen mode? Possibly this would help as the game would not use the max available resolution.

As far as I know wine does not deal with resolutions itself but uses the window manager for that. Could you tell which one you use (gnome,kde etc) and how you setup dual monitor (xinerama,xrandr, nvidia config tool) ?

Yes, I can run them in a Windowed Mode and most of the time get them in a 1024x768 window.

I'm using KDE on a KWin window manager...

Using NVIDIA's config tool for Dual Monitors.

Running Arch64 might I add.

Last edited by themattbeballin (2010-11-25 15:37:35)

#4 2010-11-25 17:45:34

o1911

Perhaps, if you are interested, you could setup a new xorg.conf which has separate X sessions for each window (rather than TwinView), such that you could open up what you want on one window, then play your game on the other.  Even if that is beyond what you want, you could check out ways to dynamically turn off screens:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=81310

For a while there I would launch games via scripts, which called xrandr first to turn off my second screen, but these days I launch everything with xinit to avoid turning off/on compiz for max performance.

I'm interested to see what you decide on, post back here smile

Arch x86_64

#5 2010-11-26 22:04:29

themattbeballin

o1911 wrote:

Perhaps, if you are interested, you could setup a new xorg.conf which has separate X sessions for each window (rather than TwinView), such that you could open up what you want on one window, then play your game on the other.  Even if that is beyond what you want, you could check out ways to dynamically turn off screens:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=81310

For a while there I would launch games via scripts, which called xrandr first to turn off my second screen, but these days I launch everything with xinit to avoid turning off/on compiz for max performance.

I'm interested to see what you decide on, post back here smile

I have thought about both options, and I'm not sure if I wanna do either of them,

I mean, I want WINE apps to go into 1280x1024 which makes sense that I won't be able to unless I disable a monitor or run two separate X sessions, which I'll probably set it up to run two separate X sessions.

Still doing some research and making my decision.

Board footer