You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-27 07:48:27

steveriley

Connection manager troubles in Enlightenment E17

Just installed E17 this evening and all looks good so far except for the connection manager. When I load the module and add it as a gadget to the shelf, the gadget appears as a pink square. Hovering the mouse over it reveals a box saying "No ConnMan". When I exit E17, this error is on the console:

ERR<3956>:e_dbus_connman e_connman_private.h:120 _dbus_callback_check_and_init() an error was reported by server: name="org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner", message="Could not get owner of name 'org.moblin.connman': no such name"

Before I installed E17, dbus was in my DAEMONS list in /etc/rc.conf but hal was not; I was seeing several other errors on the console plus other modules weren't working (battery). After I added hal the battery module seems happy but connman just doesn't appear to want to work. Any ideas on what to check? I'm a bit stumped.

#2 2010-11-28 08:13:03

steveriley

Re: Connection manager troubles in Enlightenment E17

Silly me... needed to install connman from AUR. Apparently I didn't do quite enough searching!

You do need to remove network from /etc/rc.conf, and connman should follow dbus and hal. I added a network configuration section to the E17 wiki page describing the steps.

Last edited by steveriley (2010-11-28 08:39:58)

#3 2011-01-06 22:46:10

foolishgrunt

I have a similar problem, where my connection manager module shows pink and reads "No ConnMan." But I already installed connman from the AUR, so that's not my problem. I added "connmand" to my daemon list, so it should be running right? I'm at a loss for what to try next.

Please be gentle, this is my first time. Using Arch.

#4 2011-01-08 02:21:10

foolishgrunt

My continued searching yielded no results, so I decided to reinstall the entire E17 environment, this time using the script (http://dev.archlinux.org/~ronald/e17.html) to get the latest svn snapshots. Now the module now detects connman (the pink box is gone), but it's still not detecting any networks. My understanding is that the module is supposed to display all active networks, just like NetworkManager or wicd.

Anybody know enough about the E17 connection manager module to help me out here?

#5 2011-01-08 12:54:37

valium97582

I think you should just use NetworkManager and the systray applet or netcfg or something like that. AFAIK, connman is not stable, is it?

I'm also known as zmv on IRC.

#6 2011-01-09 04:28:22

foolishgrunt

I know e17 as a whole isn't stable yet, but I wasn't aware connman is unstable.

Anyway, I found the problem: it looks like the Arch mirror I was using at the time of my first post was out of date. So after ditching my script-assembled e17 packages, choosing a better mirror, and installing the current e17 packages from community, connman now works. So I'm not sure what e17's problem is, but it seems I've finally found a set of packages that works with connman.

Board footer