You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-01 16:39:27

KLIM

Sound card + strange HDD table

Hello !

I changed to arch 2 weeks ago, and where very happy about the whole thing, and it seems to work very nice, there were just this one thing. One day I wanted to use my microphone, for some VOIP, but couldn't get it to work.
Well, I booted up in Ubuntu again and it didn't work there either.
I tried for some hours to find a solution for my microphone problem and I finally found a "work around / half solution". I just plugged the microphone jack in my on-board sound card, and everything works fine but only in Ubuntu though.

My problem is seems like arch is blocking both sounds cards to work, at the same time.
When I installed arch I removed the on-board sound card from loading in the /etc/rc.conf, just because of the only sound card which showed up were snd-hda-intel (on-board). Off course the same problem now, when I have removed the line from modules.

My external soundcard is a Creative soundblaster X-FI PCI, and normally shows up under device name snd-CA0106
I found this in the dmesg.log

cannot find the slot for index 0 (range 0-0), error: -16
CA0106: probe of 0000:05:00.0 failed with error -16

My other problem is sometimes when I boot the device names of my harddrives aren't the same as it were last time I booted.
I mount one of the drives in fstab, and sometimes its called /dev/sdd5 other times /dev/sdb5.

I hope someone will help finding a solution for these problems smile

//KLIM

#2 2010-12-01 20:06:07

shwick

Re: Sound card + strange HDD table

As for the hard drive issues, try to using UUIDs in fstab, instead of /dev/sdxx entries.

#3 2010-12-02 14:59:04

KLIM

Re: Sound card + strange HDD table

Thank you shwick, that fixed the problem with my harddrive smile

Board footer