You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-05 12:54:10

Ben9250
Website

Kernel Compilation

Hi,

I was reading the Slackbook for extra info regarding Linux in general and got the the section on Kernel Compilation, now I'd always assumed that I would never ever want to do this as it would be to difficult but I am now really considering it. So I can get a custom kernel for my system that may work better - in particular the nvidia driver and broadcom-wl drivers/modules. I'm thinking of having a toy around with the instructions from the AUR. Although I would not be too opposed to learning how to do it from source. So then I'm hoping for some advice or opinion, namely if it's a good enough reason to want to compile your own kernel if you need nvidia and broadcom-wl, and how hard is it to keep a custom kernel with the times i.e. having to compile a custom kernel every time the stock kernel is updated - I figured you would have to get get the security updates.

Cheers,
Ben.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-12-05 13:00:36

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Kernel Compilation

Unless you have severe performance regressions now with a certain kernel version, I don't see what exactly would be a 'better working kernel'. You'll still need to compile nvidia and broadcom-wl drivers against it.

It's a fun thing to do though, compile your own kernel, so I'd say go for it. Tinkering with it will help you understanding how it works. Performance gains will be minimal though, so you'll have to decide yourself how much of your time you want to invest in it.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2010-12-05 13:09:20

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Kernel Compilation

You can d/l and edit a PKGBUILD from one of the kernels in the AUR or from your ABS tree and customize until you're blue in the face.  See my sig for an example (kernel26-ck) or install abs and edit the official kernel.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer