You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-10 11:42:45

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Coming back to Arch

I stopped using Arch about a year ago, not due to any problem I had with Arch. Been running Ubuntu ever since does what I need.

Then I installed Virtualbox, thought I would load up Arch as a virtual machine and suddenly remembered all the good things about Arch.. its speed, ease of use, and flexibility, not too mention it looked damn good.

After reading Whitson Gordon's article about Arch on lifehacker I knew I had to reinstall it.

Installed and was up and running in not time.

Now for some reason which is beyond me my monitor is not running at the resolution I have on my virtual machine and frankly I am stumped.

Still love Arch but maybe my system is getting old, or maybe I am!

Could you send Cactus over to fix it for me?

MrG

Last edited by Mr Green (2010-12-11 20:19:23)

Mr Green

#2 2010-12-10 12:45:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Coming back to Arch

Guest additions?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-12-10 13:06:26

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Mr Green wrote:

... suddenly remembered all the good things about Arch.. its speed, ease of use, and flexibility, not too mention it looked damn good.

Arch has the best looking cursor in the business!

Please change your topic title to something more descriptive Mr Green. Moving to Newbie Corner. smile

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#4 2010-12-10 18:11:56

kikinovak
Website

I'm running a small IT company based 100% on GNU/Linux and FOSS: http://www.microlinux.fr. The company provides solutions for small town halls, public libraries, schools, small companies and the likes, and my job mainly consists of replacing crappy Windows networks by crispy Linux networks. Sometimes, I also do mixed setups, though I only integrate existing Windows machines into a network (that is, I never do fresh Windows installs). Besides that, I also do some training on Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Oracle, and I published two printed books about Linux (search "kiki novak" on amazon.fr if you're curious).

My first contact with Linux was back in 2001, when I installed Slackware 7.1. Over the years, I've been using nearly every distro under the sun. From time to time, I gave Arch a spin, and looking back, my forum inscription here dates back to 2005. Until now, I'd say I really liked Arch's KISS approach, which is probably due to my Slackware beginnings. There was only the odd little problem here or there that prevented me from using it in a production environment. But I've always got the feeling that Arch "almost" did the job, and I promised myself to come back from time to time just to check it out again. Right now, my company works mainly with CentOS (a Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone).

I'm also running a few production servers on CentOS, and I recently saw that my dedicated server provider (OVH France) now also offers Arch as an "expert" distro. I even remember sending them a mail a few years back and asking them if they could include Arch in their distribution list. At the time, they didn't seem to like the idea. This has been some sort of showstopper for me, since I like the idea of using one single distribution on servers as well as on the desktop. (Some basic laziness maybe smile)

Arch seems very mature now, and a glance on the wiki leaves me impressed by the sheer wealth and quality of the documentation. I even bought the printed Arch Linux Handbook, which is only slightly outdated. Right now, I'm wading through the documentation and fiddling with Arch on a few sandbox machines. I have a 60+ items checklist, and if things go well (which I have a vague feeling they'll do), 2011 will see Arch on many servers and desktops around here.

Cheers from the freezing South of France...

Dyslexics have more fnu.

#5 2010-12-10 18:26:29

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Cactus is busy now. He's trying to fix what Allan broke. A strange symbiosis, those two...

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2010-12-10 18:51:49

mpie

Mr Green wrote:

I stopped using Arch about a year ago, not due to any problem I had with Arch. Been running Ubuntu ever since does what I need.

Then I installed Virtualbox, thought I would load up Arch as a virtual machine and suddenly remembered all the good things about Arch.. its speed, ease of use, and flexibility, not too mention it looked damn good.

After reading Whitson Gordon's article about Arch on lifehacker I knew I had to reinstall it.

Installed and was up and running in not time.

Now for some reason which is beyond me my monitor is not running at the resolution I have on my virtual machine and frankly I am stumped.

Still love Arch but maybe my system is getting old, or maybe I am!

Could you send Cactus over to fix it for me?

MrG

Must be something in the air..... making people come back wink

#7 2010-12-11 03:34:19

CountDuckula

mpie wrote:

Must be something in the air..... making people come back wink

Yeah, the wind must be blowing in this direction smile

Distro hopping is part of being a Linux user for most people out there. It's also about what fits a particular scenario too, horses for courses as they say.

For me it's Arch, Debian and BSD's that form my arsenal to assault the windoze world.

#8 2010-12-11 20:25:07

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Guest additions?

Naturally gives me full screen goodness .... and it does look good ... Its a shame it does not look as good as a real machine.

Not giving up yet

Cactus can fix anything!

MrG

Mr Green

#9 2010-12-11 22:41:40

thayer
Fellow
Website

Welcome back, Mr. Green.  If this is a serious request for support we're going to need a lot more detail.  Is this a PC or notebook? What brand of graphics card? What is the native resolution? Have you configured X? What do your configs look like?

As litemotiv pointed out (wait a sec, who?), you should change the subject to something more appropriate if you expect assistance.

Last edited by thayer (2010-12-11 22:42:40)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#10 2010-12-12 10:17:21

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

thayer wrote:

As litemotiv pointed out (wait a sec, who?)

¿que?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Board footer