You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-14 19:48:21

Archie_Enthusiasm

[SOLVED]Application for screen sharing (weird question :-))

Hi guys,

I have a question because of a very weird reason (at least for me). I am running archlinux 64bit. On top of it, I have windows 7 as GUEST OS in virtualbox. Since I could not succeed installing an app on archlinux which runs smoothly on the windows 7 guest machine, I want to have an application that can be installed on archlinux and/or on windows 7 to share the screen of archlinux to the windows guest 7 machine. So it is somehow recursive:

Archlinux - On top of it Windows 7 as guest - Inside windows 7, the screen of archlinux which is actually the host OS to the windows 7.

Is there any good application for this purpose? I tried skype. but skype crashed too often. There is an app teamviewer I think. But all run over the internet. Since I do bridged networking between host and guest, I can actually use an app which can allow screen sharing over the lan (it is more stable and faster).

Can this already installed remote Desktop application be used for this purpose? (Meaning System-preferences-Remote Desktop)

Thanks.

Last edited by Archie_Enthusiasm (2010-12-21 21:06:13)

#2 2010-12-14 20:26:05

whateverworks

Re: [SOLVED]Application for screen sharing (weird question :-))

Tight vnc, make sure you can reach your vm properly first though! And it's cross platform... so you can use it on windows aswell.

extra/tightvnc 1.3.10-5
    VNC Unix server && viewer

Last edited by whateverworks (2010-12-14 20:28:57)

Regards,

Whateverworks

#3 2010-12-14 20:28:15

dschrute

VNC comes to mind for displaying your X desktop.  VNC server on Arch and connect to it with vnc viewer on the Windows 7 guest. 

Or remote X sessions, or FreeNX for running just one app and displaying it on Windows.  Both X and FreeNX can do the entire desktop as well, but they seem more suited to individual apps IMHO.

#4 2010-12-14 21:53:43

Archie_Enthusiasm

Thanks guys, I installed the tight vnc server on my archlinux and the tight vnc viewer on windows. It is working very well. But now I have an another problem:

Really funny and weird. But what I am now having is:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5353 … hot1up.png

The reason is that I have my virtualbox window open in archlinux. Inside the windows  I have my tight vnc view open which again shows the arch and recursively this result comes out.

How can I avoid this? I want to see in my arch linux how my archlinux desktop looks like in windows. Well one choice would be I switch to the 2nd desktop environment and work then the windows will see only my second workspace. But I do not have any idea how it really looks like despite that what I am doing on the desktop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the tight vnc suggestion. It saved my life :-)

#5 2010-12-14 22:14:12

whateverworks

Nice loop smile

I don't get what your trying to achieve exactly, I thought you a setup like below:

physical          virtual
arch1
windows1       arch2

And you were trying to connect from:

arch 1 to windows1
arch1 to arch2
arch2 to arch1

Hence vnc, it's easy and cross platform.

Obviously your trying something diffrent smile

Whateverworks ^^

Last edited by whateverworks (2010-12-14 22:16:15)

Regards,

Whateverworks

#6 2010-12-14 22:27:44

Archie_Enthusiasm

What I am trying is:

Physical - Archlinux(They are running on one physical machine)
Virtual - Windows (This virtual machine is running on archlinux above) => there are only two operating systems. archlinux as host, and windows as guest

What I was trying to achieve is => share desktop screen of archlinux to the windows (Completed :-) )

Now as you can understand, I want to show one desktop workspace to the windows. So that in windows we do not see this loop. So I can work on the workspace and show the windows what I am doing with having a look on the windows from my arch linux how it looks like.

Whatever. I am almost happy with it. it someone knows how to trick this out, it would be even more nice.

#7 2010-12-14 22:32:34

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Odd, tightvnc is ok.  tigervnc is more robust in my experience (in the AUR).  Or you can just use the gnome built-in vino.  There is also remmina and x11vnc.

Last edited by graysky (2010-12-14 22:33:06)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#8 2010-12-14 22:37:36

ryuslash
Website

I don't understand how you think this is going to work, though. You want to share your host desktop with your guest desktop, but your host desktop is showing your guest desktop so you will always be sharing your guest desktop with your host desktop.

Why do you want to do  this anyway, if your app runs smoothly on the Windows guest, wouldn't trying seamless mode be easier? Or did I miss something?

I did this with 2 computers on a network once, just to see what would happen, opened a VNC connection from PC#1 to PC#2 and then one from PC#2 to PC#1, with of course the exact same results, I laughed smile

#9 2010-12-21 19:55:33

wIndUpBirdIII8

The loop recursion is caused by the fact that the vnc server is parsing the display of the vnc client within your guest os as well as that of your native os's desktop. In other words, the vnc server is including everything contained in your desktop including the VM's desktop.

The same effect would happen if you setup your vnc client-server connection over your loopback interface. 

I don't know of a way to avoid this.  X11 over ssh, using another instance of X.  PITA.  SOLVED?

Last edited by wIndUpBirdIII8 (2010-12-21 20:02:23)

Board footer