You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-15 14:06:35

sihnu

[SOLVED] Login screen not allowing me to log in

Hello

I did install Linux Arch about a week ago and I've managed to solve most of the problems myself by searching the forums or googling. However, I've not got login screen working. My desktop environment is xfce and I've installed slim according to this guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Manager. I've tried the daemon mehtod. When I try to boot xfce I get to login screen and I can enter my username and password but after I submit the login the screen blinks and nothing happens. If I submit wrong username and password I get the message login failed or something like that. What could be wrong in my setup? I've only done the modifications in the guide and nothing extra. Now I can only start xfce manually.

Last edited by sihnu (2010-12-15 21:38:39)

#2 2010-12-15 14:34:22

stfn

Re: [SOLVED] Login screen not allowing me to log in

Have you configured your ~/.xinitrc file correctly too? It should contain

exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

in order to start XFCE properly. From the way you're describing the problem it sounds to me like you possibly forgot about that part.

Also, is there a specific reason why you chose the daemon method? You might want to consider using the inittab method as this one is offering quite a few advantages over the daemon method.

Last edited by stfn (2010-12-15 14:35:26)

#3 2010-12-15 21:36:27

sihnu

Re: [SOLVED] Login screen not allowing me to log in

You were right, that solved the problem. Thanks a lot, I can finally enjoy fast bootings. smile

Board footer