You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-19 14:49:25

nocdare

Messed up filesystem

Hello, I have had a very annoying problem for about a week now. Basically, sometimes my whole system freezes (except for the mouse and possibly keyboard). The freezes last for 5-20 seconds and I noticed they happen usually when I am downloading or installing something (the thing I downloaded/installed then doesn't work that well, like missing textures on a game). Later, after reboot, it says my filesystem has errors and I have to use fsck to fix it. After I fix it, it works better, but then after a time the freezes get worse, and I have to run fsck again, but this time it showed more errors in the filesystem.
(my Windows partition was also like this but I almost never used it)
I decided to reinstall Arch. It worked for about a day but then the filesystem screwed up as well, so I reinstalled it again

The filesystem I used on my root partition is ext3 (now it's ext4)
Any other info I can probably supply, but I am not sure what is needed and what to do really to solve it.
I am very thankful for any advice. :-)

#2 2010-12-19 15:51:59

stqn
Website

Re: Messed up filesystem

Hum, I had a similar problem one or two weeks ago... I did two things: restored default settings in the BIOS, and updated the system (there was a new kernel, which would be the current one, 2.6.36.2-1.) No problem since... But I have no clue what was the problem exactly... And maybe it's still there but just hasn't been triggered...

#3 2010-12-19 16:40:22

skottish
Forum Fellow

nocdare wrote:

(my Windows partition was also like this but I almost never used it)

Both your Linux and Windows partitions are having similar problems? You're experiencing hardware failure.

#4 2010-12-19 20:13:46

nocdare

Thanks for the help, I realized that the things I downloaded/installed mucked up my filesystem (when the whole sys froze up) after running fsck -v. I reset my BIOS settings and I think that should help.

Board footer