You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-21 08:57:32

dwidmann

Messed up dialogs in OpenOffice [Solved]

Screenshot:
OOorg-thumb.jpg
Ummmm, yeah.

Edit:
Most if not all dialogs are like this throughout all openoffice apps 100% of the time for me.
It has been going on at least several months now, if not longer.
I'm not using Testing.
All packages are currently up-to-date (notably, openoffice-base 3.2.1-4)

Last edited by dwidmann (2010-12-23 00:57:51)

"I refuse to be part of a society that encourages the rampant abuse of its own language." ~ BM

#2 2010-12-21 10:34:18

eldragon

Re: Messed up dialogs in OpenOffice [Solved]

using testing?

same happended to me here. there is a new mesa / xorg there which is probably the root of the issue.

i bet there are a few bug reports upstream about this issue

intel graphics here.

#3 2010-12-21 10:39:54

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Umm no.

Read the rules on posting images please. And we do appreciate a more elaborate topic start, even if you think one image says it all.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2010-12-21 11:05:41

dwidmann

eldragon wrote:

using testing?

same happended to me here. there is a new mesa / xorg there which is probably the root of the issue.

i bet there are a few bug reports upstream about this issue

intel graphics here.

No testing repo ... issue has been present for a _long_ time for me and I'm just now getting around to posting about it. I have NVidia graphics.

.:B:. wrote:

Umm no.

Read the rules on posting images please. And we do appreciate a more elaborate topic start, even if you think one image says it all.

Ummm, I'll be sure to do that then. ... I couldn't really think of any good way to describe this kind of messed up with words. An image however wrapped it up quite nicely I think.

P.S.: Is the above better?

Last edited by dwidmann (2010-12-21 11:09:26)

"I refuse to be part of a society that encourages the rampant abuse of its own language." ~ BM

#5 2010-12-21 12:27:53

thisoldman

These are what I would try. 

Have you tried deleting your Openoffice config files, ~/.config/.openoffice.org?  These files will be recreated with default settings when Openoffice restarts.

Is the problem still there with a different desktop theme or theme engine?  Or a different default font?

If it's a video driver problem or interaction, perhaps turning off antialiasing might help.  From the menu bar, select Tools >> Options.  In the dialog box (probably difficult to view for you), expand OpenOffice.org, select view and toggle the "Screen font antialiasing" check box.

#6 2010-12-21 12:57:33

dwidmann

thisoldman wrote:

These are what I would try. 

Have you tried deleting your Openoffice config files, ~/.config/.openoffice.org?  These files will be recreated with default settings when Openoffice restarts.

Is the problem still there with a different desktop theme or theme engine?  Or a different default font?

If it's a video driver problem or interaction, perhaps turning off antialiasing might help.  From the menu bar, select Tools >> Options.  In the dialog box (probably difficult to view for you), expand OpenOffice.org, select view and toggle the "Screen font antialiasing" check box.

Okay, I've (now) tried deleting the config dir, switching widget styles, changing font face/dpi/anti-aliasing, restarting OOo after each change. Problem is still present.

#7 2010-12-21 13:47:28

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Might help if we know what WM xorg drivers etc you are using....

Mr Green

#8 2010-12-21 14:05:06

dwidmann

Mr Green wrote:

kwin, nvidia(blob) ... will fill in "etc" as needed.

#9 2010-12-21 14:24:37

Forum Fellow
Website

Thumbnail is great, thanks. It definitely looks like a graphics issue, are you only having this with OpenOffice? Not with any other apps? Display corruption only occurs with application windows, not in the background? I'd think it's a problem with cabling/graphics card.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#10 2010-12-21 14:35:14

dwidmann

Thumbnail is great, thanks. It definitely looks like a graphics issue, are you only having this with OpenOffice? Not with any other apps? Display corruption only occurs with application windows, not in the background? I'd think it's a problem with cabling/graphics card.

It's only with OpenOffice, nothing else, and it's only with other dialog windows, not the main window.

#11 2010-12-21 14:56:06

Forum Fellow
Website

It's not really a solution, but you could try libreoffice, and see if the same thing happens. it's practically the same codebase, except that openoffice will die a lonely death in the near future - in the FOSS community at least.

#12 2010-12-21 23:03:53

dwidmann

It's not really a solution, but you could try libreoffice, and see if the same thing happens. it's practically the same codebase, except that openoffice will die a lonely death in the near future - in the FOSS community at least.

Umm, you probably already guessed this, but the issue is present in libreoffice too.

#13 2010-12-22 08:22:55

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

dwidmann wrote:
Mr Green wrote:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=56174

bit out of date but could be related, if problem persists I will load up OpenOffice and take a look

MrG

Mr Green

#14 2010-12-22 22:47:07

dwidmann

Mr Green wrote:
dwidmann wrote:
Mr Green wrote:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=56174

bit out of date but could be related, if problem persists I will load up OpenOffice and take a look

MrG

Hmm, seems this was not related afterall.

#15 2010-12-23 00:57:13

dwidmann

I've found the source of the problem!
(thanks in part to .:B:. for using the phrase "display corruption").
The problem was gtk-qt-engine ... adjusting the settings in systemsettings -> gtk styles wasn't enough, I had to pacman -R gtk-qt-engine to fix

Anyhow, marking as solved.

#16 2010-12-23 06:57:21

Forum Fellow
Website

Congrats smile

Board footer