You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-22 20:44:50

beroal
Website

mounting of USB flash memory after HAL

After HAL was announced as deprecated, I did not start HAL daemon. I have 2 USB flash memory devices. Nautilus automounts the first device automatically and does not the same for the second device. The only differences I can imagine is that I mounted the first device often in the past, while the second device is "unknown". Any idea how can I debug this issue?

we are not condemned to write ugly code

#2 2010-12-22 21:37:53

anonymous_user

Re: mounting of USB flash memory after HAL

Have you tried using udev to mount USB drives?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ud … if_present

#3 2010-12-22 23:45:08

beroal
Website

Re: mounting of USB flash memory after HAL

anonymous_user wrote:

Have you tried using udev to mount USB drives?

Automounting by "udev" rules works for the second device and does not for the first device. Now I see another distinction: connecting the second device creates "/dev/sdb", "/dev/sdb1", connecting the first device creates "/dev/sdb" only. That is the reason why "udev" rules are omitted for the first device.

The working of "nautilus" is more subtle. When I connecting the first device:
* if the virtual terminal of text console is active, "nautilus" does not mount a file system and replies "Not Authorized", but I may mount it via "nautilus";
* if the virtual terminal of the Xorg server is active, "nautilus" opens a window with a file system contents.

P.S. I would rather not use "udev" rules as it is not integrated with "nautilus".

we are not condemned to write ugly code

Board footer