You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-23 16:14:38

Ben9250
Website

[SOLVED] nm-applet acting odd.

I've reinstalled gnome and network manager on my laptop, but when I issue startx to get my desktop the applet does not appear. So when I issue nm-applet in the terminal, after stopping network, bringing down all my interfaces, and starting networkmanager, I get

** (nm-applet:4944): WARNING **: <WARN>  request_name(): Could not acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service.
  Error: (9) Connection ":1.30" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings" due to security policies in the configuration file

[1]+  Exit 1                  nm-applet --smdisable

. To me it sounded like some sort of permissions issue, so when I issue sudo nm-applet it does then appear.

How would I get this to act normally i.e. start with gnome without having to give sudo. I'm already a member of a networkmanager group, which according to a page floating on google, can help with some issues, but it hasn't seemed to work.

Cheers,
Ben.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-12-25 13:24:57)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-12-23 16:22:21

skunktrader

Re: [SOLVED] nm-applet acting odd.

I assume you are using exec ck-launch-session ... in your ~/.xinitrc to start gnome?

#3 2010-12-23 17:01:06

Ben9250
Website

Re: [SOLVED] nm-applet acting odd.

Ahah, yes it's working now. I've been on openbox and wicd for a long time, I could swear the last time I followed the beginners guide, way back when it included the GNOME and KDE instructions, before it reffered you to their respective wiki pages, that it didn't tell me to do that, merely ucomment the existing gnome entry in .xinitrc copied from /etc/skel/. Oh well, not that it matters, it's probably just me.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

Board footer