You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-24 03:50:52

fruight

suggestions/tips wanted for userfriendly/beginner system

i am using a very minimal Arch with XMonad for some months now and i am very happy with it.
now i am supposed to set up my little sisters pc and i dont want to put windows on it again tongue
i have fiddled with {L,K,}ubuntu but i did not really like those (bloated, buggy...) so i thought about setting something up based on Arch.

requirements:
preferably familiar environment for windows user (she shouldn't have to relearn everything)
media stuff (music, movies, pictures, e-books)
internet (flash)
office suite (shouldn't be a problem)
wine (games roll)

i guess i cant ask her to cope with a tiling WM and cli without scaring her away from linux for life, so any suggestions for floaters, guis etc. are welcome smile
so far i think about doing something based on Openbox or Xfce, but i can't back that up by any experience (once you go tiling, you never go back big_smile)
if you know some distro that provides all that without providing a ton of unneeded stuff, feel free to suggest that too smile

#2 2010-12-24 03:56:24

anonymous_user

Re: suggestions/tips wanted for userfriendly/beginner system

Xfce, Gnome, or KDE should be fine for a DE.

As for apps, search the wiki and forums.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … plications

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … plications

#3 2010-12-24 04:15:45

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

LXDE (DE that uses Openbox) or Xfce should provide comfortable environments without bloat, but I haven't used either for a while (although I do use Openbox itself, which is a great WM).

Music & Movies: VLC is a nice media player with an easy GUI that can play just about any multimedia file that you can throw at it.

E-books: Evince is a good document viewer for PDF and DJVU files.

Internet: Firefox and the Flash plugin

Office Suite: LibreOffice (I have it installed but never use as I prefer LaTeX)

Games: It depends on how old she is, but take a look at brainparty (AUR), puzzles ([community]) and slingshot (AUR) for a few simple games. Frogatto ([community]) might be interesting too.

EDIT: Mirage is a good image viewer. (I couldn't remember the name before but I found it on the wiki page).  I use Feh myself, but it's CLI-only and doesn't support animated GIFs.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-12-24 04:22:50)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2010-12-24 06:35:08

jt512

I don't know how "little" your little sister is, but if she's teen or pre-teen she'd probably find compiz-fusion pretty cool.  And it's dead easy to configure.

#5 2010-12-24 07:12:32

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Think Gnome might be the way to go, if she has used windows before its less of a shock....

Mr Green

#6 2010-12-24 07:54:31

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Mr Green wrote:

Think Gnome might be the way to go, if she has used windows before its less of a shock....

+1 if the point is to ease the transition from windows to linux, gnome is probably your best bet.
+1 for Compiz-fusion assuming the PC has enough gfx power.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer