You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-29 00:25:50

yms

[SOLVED] Even when locked, people can still use my computer

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my current setup. When X starts, it loads a bunch of programs and scripts and it takes a little while. This is why I want to be auto-logged in so that I do not have to wait extra time after logging in. The way I do this is auto-log into tty1, automatically start X and run xscreensaver to lock the screen. In the background all of my programs and scripts run as they should be.
Then I still have to type my password to be able to use my laptop.

The problem is that someone could type Ctrl+Alt+F1 when confronted to the locked screen. Then, in tty1, one can Ctrl+C startx and thus have access to a prompt.

I want to avoid that. I don't want to be logged out automatically when X exits.

In my opinion, there are two ways to do that. Either I find a way to tell xscreensaver or slock or whatever to capture Ctrl+Alt+<key> combinations or I totally remove the possibility to switch to tty1.
Do you know how to do one or the other ? Do you have a better idea of how to deal with this issue ?

Thank you for your time,

yms

Last edited by yms (2010-12-29 14:33:01)

Sorry for any English mistakes, I am not a native speaker.

#2 2010-12-29 00:33:04

Awebb

Re: [SOLVED] Even when locked, people can still use my computer

If I'm not mistaken, you can run any script using the init boot method. It's like booting into init 5, your script starts, it does stuff and locks the screen.

#3 2010-12-29 00:40:02

markbabc

Lets do some threat modeling.

Hi-Tech Threat: Experienced Linux user looking to steal your data, if they get to any tty then win. Now the possibility your going to meet this threat? Very low. Unless you hang around a bunch of blackhat hackers.

Mid-Tech Threat: Normal end user, may have a little Linux experienced but mainly uses Windows, probably a power user in Windows. Probability you meet this threat is also low. This threat wouldnt necessarily know how to switch to vc1 and then probably not know how to startx or use a console.

Low-Tech Threat: Normal Windows user. You are most likely to have this kind of person using your computer. They wouldnt know shit about how to get to vc1 and startx and if they managed to get to vc1 they are still fucked because they cant figure out how to use anything.

So unless you hang around alot of potential Hi-Tech and Mid-Tech threats you really dont have to worry.

p.s. You have more to worry about if someone can ssh into your machine or exploit some service your running.

#4 2010-12-29 01:21:28

yms

@Awebb: Yes, but the thing is that when X starts it opens a couple of windows, arranges them and loads various things in the GUIs. This can't be done with init I think.

@markbabc: Yeah, except I study Computer Science and at the Universtity there are tons of those Hi-Tech guys I hang out with ;-) I don't want them to be able to pull pranks and stuff. Of course physical access is enough but I want to do everything I can, to prevent that.

#5 2010-12-29 01:38:20

anonymous_user

#6 2010-12-29 02:07:53

ataraxia

Use "vlock -a" instead of xscreensaver. It will lock all your VTs at once.

#7 2010-12-29 05:18:40

markbabc

yms wrote:

@markbabc: Yeah, except I study Computer Science and at the Universtity there are tons of those Hi-Tech guys I hang out with ;-) I don't want them to be able to pull pranks and stuff. Of course physical access is enough but I want to do everything I can, to prevent that.

ahhh ok

#8 2010-12-29 08:43:30

jedahan

Slim has an autologin feature so you dont have to have an open VT

#9 2010-12-29 14:32:45

yms

Thank you very much. I have now settled with vlock. I'll see in the future if I do something more sofisticated.
Thank you for your help !

Board footer