You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-30 19:47:34

splippity

conversation I had with Eset support about their linux client

Some people might already know that installing Eset's linux antivirus will result in things like vlc player and openoffice no longer working.
So I filled out a ticket just to make sure that they are well aware of the situation.... Heres how it went:

Subject:    segmentation fault
User wrote: after installing nod32 on my arch linux install vlc player wont launch.  >vlc                                                                                        VLC media player 1.1.5 The Luggage (revision exported) Segmentation fault  upon removing nod32 it works again.  also x86 system. Ive also read reports of the same thing happening if you try to launch openoffice with nod32 installed. thanks

they replied:

Dear Customer,

we are aware of this problem: In the ubuntu linux, version 10.10 or higher, after installing our beta antivirus, it is not possible to install any other programs. The only solution so far is to uninstall our antivirus. The last working combination of ubuntu and our antivirus is in the ubuntu version 10.4
Do you use any of the ubuntu versions I mentioned as problematic? If not, please let us know which linux version do you use. Thank you. Othwerwise, I can only advise you to periodically check our website beta.eset.com for any upcoming updates or fixes.

obviously I stated I use arch linux... so I told them again:

no I dont use Ubuntu, I use Arch Linux..... http://www.archlinux.org/

thanks.

they then replied again not understanding a thing:

Dear Customer

please send us the exact version that you use, there are more midifications on the website you provided. Thank you.

do they think that ubuntu is the only game in town?? I really dont know how to interpret the last email reply from them lol.

figured it was best suited for the general discussion forum.
thanks,.

#2 2010-12-30 20:15:47

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: conversation I had with Eset support about their linux client

Well, antivirus is largely for ex-Windows users and most of those migrate to Ubuntu first. By the time they migrate to something else, they usually no longer worry about antivirus, so focusing on Ubuntu makes sense to me. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect them to be aware of everyone's favorite flavor of Linux either.

If you want to pursue this, I suggest that you simply explain that Arch is a rolling release distro and that it has no "versions". You should then provide the versions of the affected packages, e.g. VLC 1.1.5.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2010-12-30 20:28:01

splippity

Xyne wrote:

Well, antivirus is largely for ex-Windows users and most of those migrate to Ubuntu first. By the time they migrate to something else, they usually no longer worry about antivirus, so focusing on Ubuntu makes sense to me. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect them to be aware of everyone's favorite flavor of Linux either.

If you want to pursue this, I suggest that you simply explain that Arch is a rolling release distro and that it has no "versions". You should then provide the versions of the affected packages, e.g. VLC 1.1.5.

yeah I actually did reply earlier stating that was rolling release but they never responded again so I left it at that.

I just like to tinker with stuff and since I dual boot and fix windows comps I like to have an antivirus. I have clam but also installed bit defender and just wanted to see what kind of client a company like eset might make.

But its still beta so I guess they have their work cut out for them.

#4 2010-12-30 21:08:06

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

You need to look at it from a corporate point of view. Arch is a niche distro, and, being a rolling release distro, a moving target, so don't expect them to support it.

And I agree with Xyne, unless you have specific needs and are e.g. running an e-mail server that serves Windows users as well, there's hardly any need for virus scanners on Linux, if any.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer