You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-11 15:19:47

hendcarl

New to Arch - question regarding ACPI support and testing video cards

Hi everyone, new to the forums and new to Arch in general. Been using Linux for quite a while (10 years or so), but always with the fancy installation process and I decided I wanted to know more about what was going on under the hood. I installed Arch, got sound, video, etc all working and setup E17 as a DE. From there I have some questions though.

1. It doesn't seem that ACPI is working properly. In both E17 and LXDE, power button does not turn off the computer, battery meter doesn't work, and it doesn't detect charger state. However, checking in /proc/acpi shows that this is working. Is it a binding or something that I'm missing?

2. How do I know my video card is working properly? I installed this on an old Sony laptop with a Radeon IGP 350M. I used the open source ATI driver - does this provide any sort of acceleration? I noticed compositing in Enlightenment is god awful slow when turned on.

3. This may be a question for the Enlightenment forums - Most programs do not seem to have icons set up when installed via pacman. I'm assuming this is due to the modular nature of Arch? Do I need to set up icons manually for everything, or is there an easier way to handle this?

So far I'm loving this distro - if I can get these things worked out it will be smooth sailing. Thanks!

EDIT: I don't mind reading, if someone can point me in the right direction. So much information out there at times that its hard to sort through all of it.

Last edited by hendcarl (2011-01-11 17:22:05)

#2 2011-01-13 00:36:19

tripox
Website

Re: New to Arch - question regarding ACPI support and testing video cards

Welcome to Arch Linux! smile

hendcarl wrote:

1. It doesn't seem that ACPI is working properly. In both E17 and LXDE, power button does not turn off the computer, battery meter doesn't work, and it doesn't detect charger state. However, checking in /proc/acpi shows that this is working. Is it a binding or something that I'm missing?

Do you have "acpi" in your /etc/rc.conf ?

hendcarl wrote:

2. How do I know my video card is working properly? I installed this on an old Sony laptop with a Radeon IGP 350M. I used the open source ATI driver - does this provide any sort of acceleration? I noticed compositing in Enlightenment is god awful slow when turned on.

Use the driver from ATI.
You can install it from the AUR (catalyst) and configure it with:

aticonfig --initial

#3 2011-01-13 05:11:01

Cerales

hendcarl wrote:

3. This may be a question for the Enlightenment forums - Most programs do not seem to have icons set up when installed via pacman. I'm assuming this is due to the modular nature of Arch? Do I need to set up icons manually for everything, or is there an easier way to handle this?

Really? All of my packages come with the expected icons. Can you provide an example of a program you've installed that should have icons and doesn't?

#4 2011-01-13 05:26:50

anonymous_user

hendcarl wrote:

Have you installed any icon theme? As root run:

pacman -S gnome-icon-theme

Board footer