You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-14 05:38:42

NexusX

[SOLVED] Removing E17 desktop from AUR script

Hello,

I went about today installing Arch with much success and was trying to install the E17 desktop which isn't working; anytime I type startx I get:

xset: bad font path element (#0), possible cause are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Director missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax
/home/fox/.xinitrc: line 4: exec: enlightenment_start: not found

xinit looks like this:

xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/local
xset fp rehash

exec enlightenment_start

I was going to remove E17 and reinstall it, but since I used the easy_e17.sh script I don't know how to go about removing it. I got the script from the AUR and used pacman -U to install it, but I can't seem to find a way to undo it. I tried reading easy_e17 --help and googled for a while, but couldn't find any info. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by NexusX (2011-01-14 22:34:12)

#2 2011-01-14 06:30:50

moetunes

Re: [SOLVED] Removing E17 desktop from AUR script

Did you check the wiki

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/E1 … asy_e17.sh

It seems you didn't add /opt to your path

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#3 2011-01-14 09:07:47

NexusX

I have, the tail end of /etc/profile reads as:

# Termcap is outdated, old, and crusty, kill it.
unset TERMCAP

# Man is much better than us at figuring this out
unset MANPATH

# E17 easy-e17 script
PATH="$PATH:/opt/e17/bin"

The reason I asked about a method to go about uninstalling it is because when I ran the script, I ran it with sudo instead of as root like it said in the wiki. I figured it was the same thing, but its the only part in the wiki I strayed from hmm

#4 2011-01-14 11:21:11

moetunes

I don't know if there is an easy way to uninstall it, that's one of the hassles you get not using a package manager.
Are you sure you don't have a .profile or .bash_profile or similar in your home directory?
As your user in a terminal do   echo $PATH    to check the available paths for your user.
Using sudo instead of being root will still have the installed files set up the same

Edited due to error...

Last edited by moetunes (2011-01-14 11:38:58)

#5 2011-01-14 11:24:35

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

You should, in theory, be able just to remove the whole /opt/e17 directory. That should clean it up - provided everything has been installed with that prefix.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2011-01-14 18:40:02

NexusX

[fox@aurora-project ~]$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/lib/perl5/core_perl/bin:/opt/e17/bin

Neither .profile nor .bash_profile exist under my home dir hmm I'm really lost now

.:B:., you were right, the entire install sits in /opt/e17/. I went ahead and removed the folder and tried to reisntall as root, but that didn't yeild anything. The only thing that stands out about the install was that at the end there wre a few make errors, but I can't remember what the were at this point.

ls /opt/e17/bin/
eet  evas_cserve  evas_cserve_tool

What is X exactly starting when it reads exec enlightnment_start, I don't see anything under bin :x

#7 2011-01-14 19:52:44

moetunes

Enlightenment_start would be a script to set the environment up and start the window manager, it is important. It looks like the make errors, as they always are, are important and shouldn't be ignored. Try again and pay attention to what happens during make, more then likely it will be dependency problems.

#8 2011-01-14 19:56:11

Awebb

What's the objection against the package in the repos? Why all the hassle with a non-pacman install?

#9 2011-01-14 22:33:23

NexusX

Awebb wrote:

What's the objection against the package in the repos? Why all the hassle with a non-pacman install?

I had the install from the repo's previously; the install was very smooth and it started just fine but I ran into a bug where if I attempted to remove a gadget from my desktop, my whole system would lock up. I jumped on to irc to see if anyone knew of a workaround when a dev told me that the snapshots in the repo's were about 2 weeks old, and that a large amount of work had been done over that time to that area, and that updating the snapshot would probably fix the issue. I know that at this point, it'd probably be easier to just re-install the package in the repos and avoid doing anything to reproduce the bug, but rather than take the easy way out I'd rather address the problem directly and have an up-to-date e17 install. In the meantime I got XFCE up and running so I have a fully functioning system.

moetunes wrote:

Enlightenment_start would be a script to set the environment up and start the window manager, it is important. It looks like the make errors, as they always are, are important and shouldn't be ignored. Try again and pay attention to what happens during make, more then likely it will be dependency problems.

I went back and did another reinstall to see if I could read into those make errors a bit better, especially now that I have XFCE and a web browser to search with. The make errors didn't show up this time around (/shrug) but at the end of the install was a set of 3 instructions instructing the user to add 3 paths to their environment, one of which was the PATH argument listed in the wiki, the other two were for Python and an e17 library. Added them to /etc/profile:

#E17 eas-e17
PATH="$PATH:/opt/e17/bin"
PYTHONPATH=":$PYTHONPATH"
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/e17/lib"

And shazaam, Enlightenment works big_smile I saw these instruction in previous installs, but dismissed them since 1 was in the wiki instructions, thinking that was all that was needed. I'm considering appending this finding to the wiki.

The new updated install fixed the problem I was having with e17 before smile Now, lol, however a new one is showing up that might be worse.  Now that I can update the snapshot with a single command though I suppose I'll keep e17 around and play with it as updates happen. Thanks for sticking around, if it wasn't for you insistence that the problem probably was a fudged path variable, I might have missed it.

#10 2011-01-21 10:00:06

pressh
Developer/TU

NexusX wrote:
Awebb wrote:

I had the install from the repo's previously; the install was very smooth and it started just fine but I ran into a bug where if I attempted to remove a gadget from my desktop, my whole system would lock up. I jumped on to irc to see if anyone knew of a workaround when a dev told me that the snapshots in the repo's were about 2 weeks old, and that a large amount of work had been done over that time to that area, and that updating the snapshot would probably fix the issue. I

You could always file a bug report if something in the snapshot is broken and you know it is fixed upstream.
Just provide information on how to reproduce it and which package is broken.

Most likely that will get it working faster than waiting for me to take a new snapshot ;-)

Board footer