You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-16 16:46:03

rubenvb

[Solved] Gmail in KDE browsers

Hi,
I'd like to enjoy the full Gmail view in my browser. I'm fine with Konqueror or Rekonq as they both have Webkit and ad block capabilities.

One thing bothers me: Gmail will not allow them to show the full view and open the simple view. When I force Gmail to skip the browser test, I can use the web page as normal, but the radio buttons and checkboxes are oversized and half hidden.

This is probably the reason Gmail "fails" these browsers.

There is also the fact that the acid3 tests fail more than they should... ( see for yourself, Webkit should get 100/100).

I tried using Firefox, but on close it keeps running a full core load without closing.

I tried chromium, but its adblocking just does not work as nice as it should.

Is there any way of fixing Gmail in kwebkitpart browsers?

Thanks!

Last edited by rubenvb (2011-01-19 15:58:21)

#2 2011-01-16 20:31:17

abraxas88

Re: [Solved] Gmail in KDE browsers

Try changing user agent string in Konqueror. (:

#3 2011-01-17 02:18:20

fast_rizwaan

rubenvb wrote:

Hi,
I'd like to enjoy the full Gmail view in my browser. I'm fine with Konqueror or Rekonq as they both have Webkit and ad block capabilities.

One thing bothers me: Gmail will not allow them to show the full view and open the simple view. When I force Gmail to skip the browser test, I can use the web page as normal, but the radio buttons and checkboxes are oversized and half hidden.

This is probably the reason Gmail "fails" these browsers.

There is also the fact that the acid3 tests fail more than they should... ( see for yourself, Webkit should get 100/100).

I tried using Firefox, but on close it keeps running a full core load without closing.

I tried chromium, but its adblocking just does not work as nice as it should.

Is there any way of fixing Gmail in kwebkitpart browsers?

Thanks!

Google is stupid, even namoraka (firefox) do not show full view in Gmail.

Bro, did you try opera 11, it is pretty good. Apart from that I use firefox-kde-opensuse with adblock plus from aur

kwebkitpart does not have proper plugin support (java runtime/jre) or extensions.

But Midori - GTK/Gnome based webkit browser has the full features.

chromium is also good.

If you install oxygen-gtk then there's not difference for gtk and kde apps (visually). :-)

And the big checkbox problem is due to the fact that Google is using small checkboxes (which were standard then) and oxygen style uses 1-or 2 pixel bigger check boxes and radio buttons.

#4 2011-01-17 16:47:31

rubenvb

Well, somehow the Gmail issue solved itself O.o

I also found a solution for the Outlook Web Access pages: In the Konqueror settings, you can alter the Browser identification for specific websites. because the OWA 2010 web interface finally works with firefox on Linux, I just set it to Firefox 3.0.5 and voila, full blown interface.

Now I only have the purly visual problem that the Oxygen checkboxes aren't the right size for the Gmail interface... Grumble...

#5 2011-01-19 15:57:53

rubenvb

A last update to his issue: using the QtCurve themes for GTK applications allows Gmail to behave visually as it should. It looks a bit uglier in total, but not out of place in the Oxygen KDE theme.

Thanks for all the help!

Board footer