You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-18 05:35:27

spiky25

How to install Archlinux on a acer emachines em350 ?

Do a 64 bits version will work better if the cpu is 64 bits capable ?

Can I remove all added stuffs on Archbang or CTKArchLive to return to plain Archlinux with openbox that I can configure myself easily, so I can install Archlinux faster ?

I tried and installed Arch properly but I need to install the broadcom bcm 4727 driver (b43,wl,sta,open source), which driver do I need and how can I install it by my usb on Archlinux CLI made with base, sudo and wireless_tools only ?

English isn't my native langage

#2 2011-01-18 19:32:38

Tux the penguin

Re: How to install Archlinux on a acer emachines em350 ?

If you use install Archbang, I see no reason why you couldn't uninstall anything you wanted, so yes for your second question. I think you need a 64 bit capable processor to run 64 bit arch. I'm not sure about your last question, but I hope that helps.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
MSI CR600 / 3GB Memory / 320GB HDD / Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz | Archlinux x86_64

#3 2011-01-18 20:01:27

spiky25

Tux the penguin wrote:

If you use install Archbang, I see no reason why you couldn't uninstall anything you wanted, so yes for your second question. I think you need a 64 bit capable processor to run 64 bit arch. I'm not sure about your last question, but I hope that helps.

The processor is an atom dual-core 64 bits, I should be ok but I wanted to check if 32 bits isn't better bellow 2GB of ram ...

My main concern about Archbang is some softwares that I don't want and the configuration of openbox that I wanted to be light, fast, simple by doing it myself but I never used that wifi chipset on linux and I don't how to install it without internet ...

#4 2011-01-18 21:17:35

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

spiky25,
if you are going to use Archbang, then you should ask questions on their forum. We do not support Archbang. If you want to use Arch Linux, then you shouldn't be afraid of the installation process, because eventually there will be a time when you will have to do things on your own in the system. The Beginner's Guide or the Official Installation Guide is a great way to install Arch. Read through it and its simple enough. Installing via Archbang and or CTKArchLive and then trying to come back to a default Arch install is cumbersome and more difficult IMO.

Also most of the questions you have are pretty well documented in the Wiki and in previous forum posts. Please search and you will find your answers.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2011-01-18 21:40:34

spiky25

Inxsible wrote:

spiky25,
if you are going to use Archbang, then you should ask questions on their forum. We do not support Archbang. If you want to use Arch Linux, then you shouldn't be afraid of the installation process, because eventually there will be a time when you will have to do things on your own in the system. The Beginner's Guide or the Official Installation Guide is a great way to install Arch. Read through it and its simple enough. Installing via Archbang and or CTKArchLive and then trying to come back to a default Arch install is cumbersome and more difficult IMO.

Also most of the questions you have are pretty well documented in the Wiki and in previous forum posts. Please search and you will find your answers.

I also prefer plain Arch but i'm not sure about my broadcom wifi n chipset 4727 and my Atheros zydas1211b yagi usb antenna install cause they support so many drivers and I have to install them offline that the worst for me ...

#6 2011-01-18 21:45:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

spiky25 wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

spiky25,

I also prefer plain Arch but i'm not sure about my broadcom wifi n chipset 4727 and my Atheros zydas1211b yagi usb antenna install cause they support so many drivers and I have to install them offline that the worst for me ...

Installing over ethernet would be the best bet. Can you get access to an ethernet during install, you can later switch once you have configured everything.

Also, are you sure that Archbang and/or CTKArch will install the required drivers without you having to do anything. I haven't used either so I am not sure.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2011-01-18 22:16:05

spiky25

Inxsible wrote:
spiky25 wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

spiky25,

Installing over ethernet would be the best bet. Can you get access to an ethernet during install, you can later switch once you have configured everything.

Also, are you sure that Archbang and/or CTKArch will install the required drivers without you having to do anything. I haven't used either so I am not sure.

I have just access to a free hotspot for now and I need my laptop for a meeting wednesday if possible ...

#8 2011-01-18 23:38:59

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

spiky25 wrote:

I have just access to a free hotspot for now and I need my laptop for a meeting wednesday if possible ...

Then you should wait until after the meeting to install Arch.

Forum Rules

#9 2011-01-19 00:05:04

spiky25

Inxsible wrote:
spiky25 wrote:

Then you should wait until after the meeting to install Arch.

Too late for that, I'm stuck in CLI mode ... Is my zydan chipset included in the kernel ?

Board footer