You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-26 03:28:54

Thor@Flanders

(SOLVED)How do I make a system snapshot?

Hi,

The latests udev scare has shown me two things: you can rely on the community to fix this (thanks Tobias!) and a good backup/snapshot is worth its wheight in gold.

What manual do I read/study/understand to make a system snapshot before upgrading? I rely on the fallback now, but... yikes the current system (the one that does not work that well) will become the ... fallback after update hmm and that's not a good prospect...unless I'm mistaken!

Thank you, I hope my question does not raise any storms.

Thor

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2011-01-27 14:12:25)

#2 2011-01-26 04:41:30

karol
Archivist

Re: (SOLVED)How do I make a system snapshot?

The 'fallback' you mention is the fallback kernel image or something else?

I keep a list of installed packages as part of my backup so I can reinstall everything if I really need it. I have a liveCD too. I never needed anything else.

Edit: Are you talking about https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=111636 ?

Last edited by karol (2011-01-26 04:50:30)

#3 2011-01-26 06:28:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

'fallback' isn't what you think it is. It merely has everything compiled in.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2011-01-26 07:19:07

tomk
Forum Fellow

There are numerous ways to backup your system. Start in the wiki, google if necessary, try some alternatives unitl you find one that suits you.

No offense, but IMO your biggest issue is you, and more specifically, your reluctance to learn about your system. Read the mkinitcpio wiki page, your mkinitcpio config, and your grub config to see what the fallback entry in your grub menu actually does.

#5 2011-01-26 15:21:10

Thor@Flanders

Hi everyone,

@karol : indeed, this is the "painful spot" - it seems to be solved, so an update is in order of course...just want to keep the "furniture safe" so to speak wink
@ tomk : no offense taken, but, I stil consider myself a newbe (but I am a newbe that IS willing to learn...), so the question is "what to learn and what to learn first?", okay, so there are some things you mentionned I need to learn, but Linux is NOT just a hobby for me. I do not have any other system (like Mac or windows) - there just is ... Linux.
@ ngoonee : I dont know yet what the fallback is, but there's just one word for it right now : lifesaver! Arch is great, there IS a fallback smile

Edit : Okay, some options have come up...in the answers posted...including one post elswhere from one Enlightened Spirit - who also has my profound gratitude.
I have understood (from the stuff I read) that the fallback is "merely" (using this word cautiously) an all-in-one package while the standard kernel is a fine tuned set. Hence, since there is "just what is needed", there is nothing to "fall back" on...the difference in size (1.4Mb - 7.9Mb) tells tales.
I looked into rsync too, okay, that, in combo with a weekly cron job and one to be run before updates, should be all I need to be secure...
I can safely say that this thread can be closed...and marked as solved as requested in this thread https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=50161...
Editting the subject line next time round!

Closing edit : marking this thread as solved with gratitude to all that helped, and showed me what to learn next!

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2011-01-27 14:12:08)

#6 2011-01-26 15:36:43

karol
Archivist

Thor@Flanders wrote:

@ ngoonee : I dont know yet what the fallback is, but there's just one word for it right now : lifesaver! Arch is great, there IS a fallback smile

I also got the impression that you don't really know what is it - sometimes fallback image may help, but it's not an image of your whole system - far from it.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mk … activation

Board footer