You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-27 04:27:51

RedScare

Decreasing Boot Speed - Starting X earlier?

Hello. I have made some modifications to my bootscripts in order to speed up the boot process. So far my effective gain has only been 2-3 seconds. I was wondering if anyone could look at the bootchart and make some suggestions as to possible changes in the boot process. I consider booting to be done, in this bootchart, by around 17 seconds when DWM, my window manager, is being started.

I am mostly surprised because my machine is not too old, yet I see lots of people on the forums boasting sub-10-second boot times - this seems something I cannot get.

Things I noticed:

- Even though I started slim around 7 seconds, X itself starts loading later.

Thanks for any responses.

Bootchart:
bootchart

Last edited by RedScare (2011-01-27 14:38:32)

#2 2011-01-27 19:15:25

magyckleo

Re: Decreasing Boot Speed - Starting X earlier?

Hi buddy!

Check out this post. It may be helpful.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=72156

#3 2011-01-28 21:16:29

ChoK

By the way the fastboot option doesn't exist anymore since a few kernels ago. It was introduced in 2.6.29 to test asynchronous something iirc and has since become a default behaviour.

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#4 2011-01-28 22:26:48

falconindy
Developer
Website

The big (and easy) wins for decreasing boot times are changing your init system and recompiling your kernel to get rid of initcpio. A modernized init system like systemd will be able to parallelize more and start less, delaying services until they're actually needed. Between systemd and an SSD, I'm getting 6s from bootloader to login prompt (nongraphical).

Board footer