You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-23 18:56:39

Zender

Probably something with the permissions but I haven't solved it yet

I'm having a few issues with my new install, seeing as this is my first time round in Arch there is a lot I still need to learn.

The current problems are probably all stemming for the same source:

-I'm playing mkv files through VLC but it's laggy. I read somewhere that it would be a good idea to change the output settings. But I can't change it. Getting back a "Preferences file could not be saved"
-At the same time, every time I reboot the system, I have to tell xfce that my screen is a bit bigger than the 1280-800 that it gives as default. It doesn't store my preferences.

I have the suspicion that it has something to do with writing permission to my home folder or somewhere else. But I haven't solved it yet. Could you guys lend me a hand?

Thanks!

#2 2011-02-23 20:35:06

tom5760
Website

Re: Probably something with the permissions but I haven't solved it yet

Try running something like this:

find ~ -not -user $USER

This should find all the files inside your home directory that are not owned by your user.  If you find some config files that match, make sure to switch them to your user (probably with "chown").  If this was the problem, this will fix it.

Last edited by tom5760 (2011-02-23 20:35:31)

#3 2011-02-24 02:43:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Probably something with the permissions but I haven't solved it yet

If what tom5760 has said is correct, you probably ran software as root before.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer