You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-26 13:48:30

Kuwiano

Diff. root PWD in Openbox?

I previously installed arch now on the Openbox Desktop i want to download thunar ("sudo pacman -S thunar") but after I type the password in it always says wrong password, but before i start X i can change to admin --> with the same password O.o.

So how can I change the root password in Openbox.

#2 2011-02-26 15:29:37

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Diff. root PWD in Openbox?

Aren't you confusing the password you need for sudo and the root password?

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2011-02-26 15:39:26

Kuwiano

I have set an root pwd while installing arch and it works fine untile i launch an Xserver hmm. So how do i change the pwd from the root of the Xserver? And yes I tryed all passwords which I set out.

sry for poor english

#4 2011-02-26 15:41:19

anonymous_user

You shouldn't start X as root user. Login to root, create a user, then logout and login as the user.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … ing_a_User

The next section after it also talks about setting up sudo.

#5 2011-02-26 15:47:24

milomouse
Website

by default sudo prompts for $USER password (your running user's password) and not root. so as .:B:. said you'll need to enter your $USER password when doing sudo. if you want to change this behavior so that sudo uses the root password instead; login as root and once you're logged in, type: visudo
it should open your text editor and you can add this to line to the file:

Defaults rootpw

and save file, so that from now on when you run 'sudo' you'll enter root password instead of $USER password, like with 'sudo pacman -S thunar'.

since you said you tried all passwords you set out, I assume you have more than just the root user account, especially since you're trying to run sudo.
how are you trying to start X?

#6 2011-02-26 15:58:37

Kuwiano

by simply typing "startx" (have no login manager yet) - but how could it be ? I have an root account an mine "Kuwiano" i can login with both and startX ... and I have create my Kuwiano acc with the root account ... I simply don't understand it.

Because I'am an Austrian i have change my keyboardlayout to "de" but it works just fine (also in xterm) (by adding setxkbmap -layout de at the end of autostart.sh)

PS: I have installed an login manager (slim) and how do i change the keylayout here?

Board footer