You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-27 18:10:39

thebeav

Dedicated arch box CLI only use for file sharing, print server

Hi All! I hope that the subject paints a basic picture of what I am trying to do...

Basically, I want to create a simple home network using a dedicated server, running a bare bones Arch. I would like to use the network to share files off of the Arch server. Also, I would like the Arch server to be connected via USB to my printer to be shared.

Here's where I am at this point. I setup Samba on the Arch box and the file sharing is working fine. The printer setup is what I am getting confused about. It may just be the wording in ALL of the documentation I've been reading (CUPS wiki, Samba wiki, CUPS documentation, etc...). So essentially my question is, what are the general steps to do this? It seems that if I can just get the printer working on the Arch box only, then sharing it should just be a matter of configuring the smb.conf file. A major obstacle right now is that almost all of the CUPS documentation refers to configuration from a webpage. However, the Arch box is CLI only.

The printer is an HP DeskJet F2210 if that helps at all...?

Any more information I can provide or clarification, I will. This is my first post on the forums so take it easy on me smile

Thanks to all replies in advance!

#2 2011-02-27 18:24:46

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Dedicated arch box CLI only use for file sharing, print server

Cups opens a web server at port 631 on localhost to allow for administration of the print system.  What you should probably do is to make that port available to other systems on the network so they can use their web browsers to control cups on the server.

I just checked, you can also use links (a text based web browser) to open http://localhost:631 to control cups.  You can run it from a tty (including ssh)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-02-27 19:06:54

thebeav

Re: Dedicated arch box CLI only use for file sharing, print server

That links browser was exactly what I needed! Thank you for the quick response. The printer is now installed properly and I can print from the Arch box itself. Now, I just need to be able to share it using Samba. When I attempted to install the printer earlier (to no avail) I was able to detect the printer (or what appeared to be a properly installed printer at least) from another computer without changing anything in the smb.conf file. Now that the printer is actually properly installed, I am not able to detect it. Do I need to change something in the cups configuration to be able to share it with Samba? I have the option selected to "share printers connected  this system".

EDIT: Nevermind, after taking another crack at it, I was able to detect the printer through Samba. Thank you very much for the help!!!

Last edited by thebeav (2011-02-27 19:11:35)

Board footer