You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-20 23:11:37

omega02

[SOLVED] KTorrent KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/ktorrent'.

Hi, I'm a noob at linux in general, so please take it easy for me.

Okay, so I am getting this weird KTorrent KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/ktorrent' error whenever i try to run ktorrent. It only happened whenever I recently updated it to 4.1.0.1.
Whenever I run it in terminal however, I get this error saying this:

ktorrent: error while loading shared libraries: libkcmutils.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I also google'd around trying to fix this problem myself but no one seemed to have this kind of error.

Solution: Update the computer with "pacman -Syu" (without quotes) and it should work. Thanks.

Last edited by omega02 (2011-03-21 18:54:11)

#2 2011-03-20 23:20:19

Dogmeat

Re: [SOLVED] KTorrent KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/ktorrent'.

/usr/lib/libkcmutils.so.4 is owned by kdelibs 4.6.1-2

Do pacman -Syu and make sure you are using an up to date mirror.

#3 2011-03-20 23:51:09

omega02

Hi, I am a really, really, big noob at linux. Okay so I don't use pacman, I use yaourt (I assume they're the same thing, just that yaourt adds colour to the text) and secondly I don't know how to update a mirror.

Anyways, I did "yaourt -Syu" and woah, I guess I really do need to update my linux computer, but one thing.. It seems like I need to replace stuff.. and I don't even know if I should replace it or not! So like

Replace kdeaccessibility-kttsd with extra/kdeaccessibility-jovie? y/n

I'm not feeling very comfortable about upgrading my system as it seems like I can break it. So is there any way I can just manually update kdelibs to 4.6.1-2? I did yaourt -Sy kdelibs but it came out with this when things finished downloading:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
libsub: /usr/include/libusb-1.0/libusb.h exists in filesystem
libusb: /usr/lib/libusb-1.0.a exists in filesystem
libusb: /usr/lib/libusb-1.0.so exists in filesystem
libusb: /usr/lib/libusb-1.0.so.0 exists in filesystem
libusb: /usr/lib/libusb-1.0.so.0.0.0 exists in filesystem
libusb: /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libusb-1.0.pc exists in filesystem
kdelibs: /usr/share/locale/en_US/entry.desktop exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded

Again, I don't really want to update my system as I think it can break my system so please... Help..

EDIT: Oh! Is there any way I can like degrade back to my original working for ktorrent? So I don't have to even download any of these stuff?

Last edited by omega02 (2011-03-21 00:02:20)

#4 2011-03-21 00:00:50

Dogmeat

Use pacman -Qo to identify which package owns a file (e.g. pacman -Qo /usr/share/locale/en_US/entry.desktop). If no packages own files listed above then it should be safe to remove those files or force pacman to overwrite the files (i.e. pacman -Sf libusb kdelibs) and then pacman -Syu.

#5 2011-03-21 00:03:44

omega02

Well, actually is there any way I can downgrade my ktorrent back to where it originally worked before? This problem only occurred whenever I updated my ktorrent, so to avoid this, I want to downgrade if possible, thanks.

EDIT: I google'd and I said I can...the command is pacman -U pkgname-olderpkgver.pkg.tar.gz but I'm going to use yaourt -U pkgname-olderpkgver.pkg.tar.gz. My question is, is that will there be any risks involved? Will I be safe to downgrade back to where it works again?

EDIT2: I just tried yaourt -U ktorrent-3.3.4-2-i686.pkg.tar.xz but it doesn't seem to work... it says that it cannot open package file.. any ideas? I also tried going for an older one that is ktorrent-3.2.3-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz but it also says the same thing

EDIT3: Oh by the way, I did pacman -Qo /usr/share/locale/en_US/entry.desktop and it says "/usr/share/locale/en_US/entry.desktop is owned by kdebase-runtime 4.4.4-1"

EDIT4: So would I do pacman -Qo to every /usr/lib/libusb and delete it if it doesn't say anything?

EDIT5: I just did pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libusb-1.0.a and it says that it is being owned by libusb1 1.0.8-1 ... it seems like its all being owned by something. I don't think i should delete it.

Last edited by omega02 (2011-03-21 00:19:27)

#6 2011-03-21 00:24:40

omega02

Okay so sorry for double posting but.. i just overwrited the libusb files with "yaourt -Sf libusb kdelibs" ... now that its installed, and i try ktorrent, it just won't start.. Oh and now whenever i type in ktorrent in terminal, it says this:

ktorrent: error while loading shared libraries: liblzma.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Okay, so now I'm thinking I should do yaourt -Syu to just update my system and get it over with but one thing, it always asks me if I want to replace an item with another one... please help. (I mean, should i just say yes to everything it asks me to replace??)

And thanks for keep on helping me Dogmeat. I really appreciate it

EDIT: So what I'm asking is that should I just say yes to everything it says to replace?

Last edited by omega02 (2011-03-21 00:29:22)

#7 2011-03-21 00:29:46

Dogmeat

You should update your whole system with pacman -Syu or yaourt -Syu if you wish and answer yes to all those replace questions.

#8 2011-03-21 00:39:36

omega02

Okay, saying yes to all those replacement questions.. Now its updating smile I'll tell you tomorrow what happens. There's 1.7GB to download. Hopefully this will work and solve all my problems I created.

#9 2011-03-21 01:41:19

omega02

Sorry for double post but some reason, while I was updating it says this:
error: failed retrieving file 'Some File' from mirror.rit.edu : Connection timed out

Some File is any file that SOMETIMES pop up. So like during the updates it says like:
error: failed retrieving file 'mysql-5.5.9-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.rit.edu : Connection timed out.

Any ideas? I'm assuming I should "update" my mirrors but how? And if not, then what do I do? I'm missing some updates here...

#10 2011-03-21 04:26:44

stryder

Perhaps you should read the wiki on "mirrors"?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mirrors

#11 2011-03-21 11:41:53

omega02

Okay, so I didn't really know what to really do, but I went there generated an up to date mirrorlist to Canada with ftp http, and IPv4 with Use Mirror Status checked, so I hope I have the mirrorlist being used.

And also, I couldn't even update my computer because i couldn't retrieve packages from extra. So I'm re-updating. Also, before I go, I tried opening dolphin, the file manager but I couldn't... I hope this doesn't break my system hmm

#12 2011-03-21 18:52:45

omega02

Alright! Thank you guys!! I can finally run ktorrent again! I guess there really is no harm with updating your computer. I will remember this, and once again, Thank you! This is going to be marked as solved. smile

Board footer