You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-29 05:37:04

Dahaka14

[SOLVED] Running Commands from Command Line

Hi, I am brand new to Arch Linux. I am somewhat familiar with using the terminal and running commands from the terminal, but I can't seem to figure out why I am having trouble running executables from the terminal in my new Arch Linux system. For instance, I am trying to use the executable "xflux" like I have in other Linux systems. I enter the directory that it is in, and run xflux and get:

[user@myhost ~]$ xflux
bash: /usr/bin/xflux: No such file or directory

But I clearly put the executable in the /usr/bin directory:

[user@myhost ~]$ which xflux
/usr/bin/xflux

This has been happening with other executables as well, even when I try to run it with the executable in the same directory that I am in.
I honestly spent a lot of time trying to find an answer to the question. To me it would seem that I just don't have enough knowledge of using bash and terminal to know what I am doing wrong. Could someone please help me, or point to where I can learn how to fix this?

Last edited by Dahaka14 (2011-03-29 14:34:42)

#2 2011-03-29 06:39:25

Awebb

Re: [SOLVED] Running Commands from Command Line

#3 2011-03-29 09:18:13

starfry

Is xflux executable?

(do "ls -l `which xflux`" and check that it has enough executable permissions for your user.) Have you tried entering the absolute path (i.e. "/usr/bin/xflux") ?

What is it?

(do "file `which xflux`").

If it is a script then another problem may be that the script is looking for its interpreter in the wrong place. Check the top line. It'll be something like "#!/bin/sh". Whatever is on that line is the program that executes the script. Check that exists too (e.g. to check my example I might do ls -l /bin/sh").

Hope this helps you.

#4 2011-03-29 11:09:20

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

How did you install xflux?

There is a xflux package in the AUR which apparently depends on some other lib32-package when installed on a 64-bit system. So, if you took the xflux executable from another system it might possibly not run in your Arch environment.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#5 2011-03-29 14:33:33

Dahaka14

Thank  you for taking the time to reply.

I did not notice that it required lib-32 packages since I have only run xflux on 32-bit Linux systems. Usually on other systems it would tell me which packages I am missing, but I have learned my lesson to check all package dependencies even if it does not specify.

Just in case someone in the future runs into the same problem, here is how I added the required 32-bit libraries:

[user@myhost ~]$ sudo pacman -S lib32-libxxf86vm lib32-libstdc++5

Thanks for the help.

#6 2011-03-29 15:50:45

perbh

@Dahaka14
That was absolutely beautifully done!
First a question and then a reminder to anyone else having the same problem! (and I'm not trying to be sarcastic).
It should be a template for any new poster!

Board footer