You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-02 14:42:25

kcirick

[Solved] Macbook & dualboot

Hello,

I'm not sure when I should put this, so I'm posting here.

I have a macbook which I'm dualbooting with OSX and Linux. I am not using rEFIt because I find the interface rather ugly. The issue is without it, it automatically goes into OSX at first. Every time I boot, I have to press and hold option key until it prompts me to boot into "windows" partition.

I've search a little online, and found something like this:

bless --device /dev/disk0s1 --setBoot --legacy --verbose

to set the boot to /dev/disk0s1 where I have my arch partition. I worry that when I do this, I will not be able to go into OSX by pressing and holding option key at boot? I still use osx sometimes, but I don't want it to go there automatically.

Last edited by kcirick (2011-04-03 22:27:22)

#2 2011-04-02 21:01:42

redden0t8

Re: [Solved] Macbook & dualboot

It's been a while since I've dealt with this, but it looks right. If it works, you will be able to hold option to get the menu and pick OS X. Worst case, you can just boot up off the restore disk and open "startup disk" to put the default back to OS X.

#3 2011-04-03 22:27:03

kcirick

Looks like the command worked. It goes automatically into Arch Linux (after seemingly long (couple of seconds at least...) delay, but I can live with that). To go to OS-X, just press and hold "option" after the "Apple Sound" and select OS-X.

I guess I'll put this as Solved. Thanks redden0t8 for your input!

#4 2011-04-04 13:09:47

redden0t8

No problem!  I used to run the same setup, as I also disliked rEFIt (the MacBook is now back to OS X for my fiancee and I run Arch on my netbook).  I never found an easy solution for the delay - it seems to be a quirk of the legacy loader.

It is possible to get GRUB2 working natively through EFI, which in theory should eliminate the delay, but at the time it was still very buggy so I never bothered.  It looks like it has matured some since, you may want to give it a look.

#5 2011-07-14 18:15:18

commander_keen

There is an easier way to set up the default partition:
1) Hold the option/alt key during the "chang" sound. This will take you into the bootloader
2) Use the arrows to navigate to your desired default boot partition
3) hold control - the icon bellow your selected partiton should change to a "looping" arrow
4) hit enter

Board footer