You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-05 17:01:06

gatlin

Fonts in google chrome

Aloha. I have Google Chrome Dev installed from the AUR package google-chrome-dev. I configured fonts to use Droid for most everything and it looks lovely.

Trouble is, for most Google sites and Facebook, it looks like un-anti-aliased Arial is being used despite what I have configured. In my attempts to resolve this I have seen a lot of material on Chrome/Chromium's ugly past with font rendering. What's odd is that, for example, this page looks lovely. It's only Google and Facebook properties that come out atrocious.

I'm running plain compiz with no DE. My gtkrc handles fonts in the window chrome and most apps, and they all look fine as well. It's just Chrome, and just these sites.

I'm a font noob. Help me help you help me.

#2 2011-04-06 06:06:44

stlarch

Re: Fonts in google chrome

I'm a noob too, but do you have ttf-ms-fonts installed? Also I remember reading a thread about removing xorg-fonts-75dpi and xorg-fonts-100dpi. You could maybe try that.

#3 2011-04-06 07:59:03

gatlin

I installed ttf-ms-fonts and the fonts do look a bit better. I'd still love to figure out how to force all requests for arial to just go to Helvetica or Droid Sans but at least Gmail looks tolerable now. Thanks!

#4 2011-04-06 10:05:06

utkuaydin
Website

gatlin wrote:

I'd still love to figure out how to force all requests for arial to just go to Helvetica or Droid Sans...

Easy, just edit your your

~/.fonts.conf

file. Font configuration page on Arch Wiki explains how to do that.

Board footer