You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-12 22:36:34

r0llingthund

Installing Wireless Drivers

Ok I am having the hardest time wrapping my head around Installing a Wireless Driver for my system. I have a Broadcom BCM4312 Wireless Card. This would fall under me getting the broadcom-wl driver. This is where I have no idea what I am doing. I came from ubuntu, which is my main problem, for I always used their driver installer. So really I have never installed a driver from scratch before (I DO KNOW that I have to compile it and then change the /etc/rc.conf file). Just for some reason I can't seem to get this to work on my system, and yes I have read the manual (the beginners guide, the wireless wiki page which linked me to the broadcom wireless page).

So basically How to you install the driver? (If you can please show the commands or a website I can see the commands on)

(also to show that I am asking for the right wireless driver)

0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)

#2 2011-04-12 22:39:31

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Installing Wireless Drivers

4312 is supported by both b43 and wl - read the Wireless Setup page in the wiki, everything you need is there.

#3 2011-04-12 22:47:12

r0llingthund

See thats the problem I have followed the guide the first time being the wl driver then the second time the 43 driver (changed the rc.conf and blacklisted the right things according to the guide). Then I said screw it and completely reinstalled the whole thing (not just because I stopped at this problem I had done some stuff that I saw being wrong) and tried the wl driver once more and tried again. But for some reason I am just retarded on this single issue. I have read the guide I understand the guide and well It's not really working it is just odd everything else about Arch I love. It's just I can't figure out my wireless. every thing else is working fine and dandy.

#4 2011-04-13 01:35:15

phaedrus

I followed the guide and got my wireless going ok... but what I found even easier was using ArchBang. It comes with wicd as the network manager.

My process was Install from disc, download b43 AUR package (I have to use b43 for old hardware), makepkg and install, connect with wicd-curses to wireless and setup wired to be default if it's plugged in.

Depending on which method of network management you use you will need different settings in your config (ie. disable networkmanager if you are using wicd etc) - After having set things up in ArchBang and seeing network stuff I wasn't used to (ie... avoiding network manager and network profiles etc) it all started to make a bit more sense to me.

Also, if you are after some more help... provide a bit more info wink Does your wifi show up in lspci? Are the required modules loaded? Does it require firmware be installed? If you are using a graphical network manager, does it see your connection at all?

Board footer