You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-29 12:38:27

NOTAPIYUC

How to include xcompmgr into session-startup?

Hello everyone!

First of all, I totally new to arch linux and more or less linux itself aswell. A friend of mine helped me installing the system and now I went on messing around with it on my own.

I am using GDM. Right now I am trying to have the xcompmgr start automatically at each session start, having difficulties to find the right file to modifiy.

I read through the wiki and there they say to add xcompmgr to the xprofile. Sorry for asking, but where exactly do I find that? I check my home-directory, no .xsession or .xinitrc there, only a .xsession-errorlog. I tried to include a line saying "xcompmgr -c &" in the /etc/gdm/Xession file, with different variantions (an exec in front, without exec, as last in the file, as second last in the file), but whenever I log out an in again, nothing ever happens. What am I missing?

Thanks for helping me!

Cheers,

Andy

#2 2011-04-29 12:54:51

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: How to include xcompmgr into session-startup?

Copy the files you need from /etc/skel/.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2011-04-29 13:18:32

NOTAPIYUC

Thanks, copied the .xinitrc-file and added a line at the end saying "xcompmgr -c", but still no change.

I'm sure this must be easy, but I am still working my way through the concept...

#4 2011-04-29 13:50:54

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

AFAIK, GDM doesn't source the ~/.xinitrc file. Since you are using gdm, are you also using Gnome? Gnome probably has a option to indicate what apps you want to start up at boot. However, I haven't used Gnome in a long long long time, so I don't know where that setting would be.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2011-04-29 14:09:31

NOTAPIYUC

Yes, I am using Gnome and thank you very much, that hint did helped! There is indeed a list of startprograms to which I simply had to add the comand xcompmgr.

#6 2011-04-29 14:15:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Good. please mark your thread as solved by editing your first post in the thread and prepending [SOLVED] to the subject line

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer