You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-29 15:13:31

tasty_minerals

Thinkpads and lm_sensors!

Being an owner of lenovo_thinkpad_EDGE laptop I wanted to monitor my CPU temperature and other onboard sensors, due to my hot Turion CPU, I sometimes feel like I need to know the real temperature of my CPU. But unfortunately it looks like I can't use lm_sensors due to their,somewhat , bad compatibility with thinkpads, that leads to hardware corruption in some cases (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_lm-sensors).
I used lm_sensors before and was pretty ok with them, but it seemed like they didn't show the correct temperature anyway, so I gave them up. But after reading about the bug I decided to remove them completely, just to be safe. So how can I monitor CPU temperature now? Is there any proper alternative? As far as I googled I wasn't able to find, so I decided to ask thinkpad users, who tried to solve this problem. Any ideas?

lenovo thinkpad EDGE 13'

#2 2011-04-29 16:53:35

demian

Re: Thinkpads and lm_sensors!

If the kernel module thinkpad_acpi has support for Thinkpad Edge you can probably view your systems temperatures in one of the control folders it provides.
Check /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi and specifically /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal.

no place like /home
github

#3 2011-04-29 17:06:21

tasty_minerals

Re: Thinkpads and lm_sensors!

Yes! This is it "/proc/acpi/ibm/thermal" has the output of "temperatures:    0 61 61 0 0 0 37 0", so I can make a script grab this output.
"/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi" does not have any temperature related info, however "/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/" does!
Thanks again, this will help a lot of thinkpad users.

Last edited by tasty_minerals (2011-04-29 17:13:27)

lenovo thinkpad EDGE 13'

Board footer