You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-03 19:31:08

dtmc

[SOLVED] How do I know what tty I'm using?

This is my first attempt to install Arch (and, frankly, I'm amazed it worked first time, given my abilities :-) ) and I have a query.

I have got to the part where I add myself as a user and, in the beginner's guide, it advises switching from md5 hashes to sha512.  Fair enough.  But then, on the SHA hashes wiki page, there's a throwaway line which says that sha512 hashes won't work with fgetty and I should switch to mingetty or agetty.

So, how do I tell which tty I'm using and how do I switch to one of the others if I am using fgetty?  Pacman doesn't seem to recognise any of them and I can't find any mention of this on the forums (am I *really* the first person to wonder?  Or are you all just so much more advanced than me and know the answer already? :-) ).

Many thanks,

David Shaw

Last edited by dtmc (2011-05-03 21:53:52)

#2 2011-05-03 19:38:11

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] How do I know what tty I'm using?

Hi David,

Welcome to the boards. You can look in your inittab to see what gettys you are using (/etc/inittab). There is a description here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … _and_Login

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2011-05-03 19:45:18

dtmc

Many thanks - turns out I'm using agetty (but you probably knew that already :-) ).

I'll probably irritate you all by asking a load of newbie questions and I apologise in advance.  I'm no newcomer to Linux (made the switch just over five years ago) but this is my first attempt with a distro that doesn't spoon feed me.  The training wheels are now off ;-)

David Shaw

#4 2011-05-03 20:29:32

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I think you'll find a lot to enjoy using Arch.

Most of the newbie questions have been asked and answered here or on the wiki. As long as you read the Forum Etiquette, you'll be fine https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_Etiquette

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer