You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-07 06:22:18

amadar
Banned

[SOLVED] Adding disk to fstab removes it from "Devices" in filemanager

I'm trying to mount a hard drive automatically using /etc/fstab so that I don't have to type in the root password when I click on it in my file manager (nautilus).

I've added the disk's info to fstab, and it mounts fine, but I'm not sure where/how to mount it so that the hard drive will still appear under the "Devices" list in my file manager. I've tried mounting in /mnt and /media, and the content of my disk drive appears in there, but to get to it in my filemanager i have to click on the "filesystem" device, then navigate to the /mnt or /media directories.

Before using fstab for this drive, it was more convenient to just click on the device (after mounting it) to go straight to it's content. The disk used to appear next to (below) the "filesystem" device.

So how do I set up fstab for my disk drive to appear in my "Places" menu or in the "Devices" list in filemanager?

EDIT: when I unmount it, the device now shows up in "places" and "devices".

Last edited by amadar (2011-05-07 18:44:47)

#2 2011-05-07 07:05:24

jeslinmx

Re: [SOLVED] Adding disk to fstab removes it from "Devices" in filemanager

In that case, disable automounting of that volume. It should then appear in the side pane and places menu.
Actually, hiding the volumes mentioned in fstab sounds like something that was supposed to be a feature. Otherwise you would see the other partitions that make up your internal system hierarchy, like /home and /var and all that.

Lenovo Y450 + Arch x86_64 dual boot with Windows 7 + Openbox standalone + Arch default kernel + Nouveau + yours truly = A lot of *****in' in the Arch Forums.

#3 2011-05-07 11:19:39

iTwenty
Website

Why not just make a shortcut in the side panel for the mount point folder you specified in fstab? A simple drag and drop of the folder on the side panel will suffice.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

#4 2011-05-07 18:43:44

amadar
Banned

Thanks for the input.

I solved the problem: I had to mount the filesystem to /media/example where "example" can be anything you want. The filemanager will then show the filesystem's actual label in the "Places" or "Devices" list with a hard-drive icon. If you mount the filesystem directly to /media then you'll have all the files of the filesystem visible inside the /media folder, which is probably what you don't want. I guess Nautilus automatically checks subfolders in /media to see if they are the parent directory of a mounted filesystem. If so, then Nautilus will show the appropriate device in the "Devices" list. I guess it is a convention that filemanagers follow.

Last edited by amadar (2011-05-07 18:47:14)

#5 2011-05-07 18:44:59

Awebb

Mount it where it belongs (/mnt for the traditionalists) and symlink it to /media.

#6 2011-05-07 18:48:25

amadar
Banned

mm hmmm, good idea Awebb, I'll try that. /mnt makes more sense for things that are "mounted".

#7 2011-05-07 19:27:15

amadar
Banned

@Awebb Hey, I tried it, but apparently it doesn't work. Nautilus will only list the filesystem in "Devices" if I actually mount it in /media/whatever (instead of mounting to /mnt/whatever and symlinking from /media/whatever). Not a big deal though, i'll just stick with /media/whatever (although /mnt/whatever would be nicer).

Last edited by amadar (2011-05-07 19:38:33)

#8 2011-05-08 13:08:49

jeslinmx

Ubuntu mounts everything to /media. Explains why many Archers think Ubuntu is Canonical's best 1st April contribution ever tongue (no offence, I love some parts of Ubuntu too.)
Anyway, back when I was using nautilus I had this problem too, except I was already mounting to subdirectories of /media. Must've been fixed. Cheers to solving your problem.

Lenovo Y450 + Arch x86_64 dual boot with Windows 7 + Openbox standalone + Arch default kernel + Nouveau + yours truly = A lot of *****in' in the Arch Forums.

Board footer