You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-21 13:53:35

Unia
Website

[SOLVED] Automatically set Nautilus wallpaper at boot?

Hello,

I'm using a Compiz standalone session and use Nautilus to set my wallpaper. When I log in however, I firstly have to launch Nautilus in order to set the background. Is there a way I can have Nautilus automatically set my background when I log in, without having to launch it? I would've searched for this myself, but all the search terms I'm using give me completely different items - so I don't exactly know what to search for. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Unia (2011-05-21 14:49:46)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#2 2011-05-21 14:17:47

Foucault

Re: [SOLVED] Automatically set Nautilus wallpaper at boot?

Since the desktop is managed by Nautilus you must launch it in order to get the background. There are two things you can do given this fact. Either autostart nautilus on login without a window (nautilus --no-default-window) or use another program like feh (feh --bg-fill /path/to/wallpaper.jpg) to draw the desktop and launch this through .xinitrc. However note, that if you use feh to draw the desktop and then you launch nautilus for file management you must make sure that you have launched it with the --no-desktop argument. Otherwise it will take over your desktop.

#3 2011-05-21 14:41:31

Unia
Website

Yeah I know about feh, nitrogen and the --no-desktop parameter, coming from an Openbox background.

I haven't heard of the --no-default-window before, so I'll try that now and will report back!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#4 2011-05-21 14:49:27

Unia
Website

Yep, adding nautilus --no-default-window & to the autostart.sh worked! Thanks Foucault!

Board footer