You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-22 16:19:25

donde

[CLOSED]kernel26-ice

Hi all,

i've installed the kernel26-ice with yaourt and put it in grubs menu-lst. it boots successfully, but i have no wlan functionality, why is that and is it worth the work i need to do for that kernel. i didnt really find out whats it for.
someone experiences with tuxnice?

thanks

donde

Last edited by donde (2011-05-24 16:48:25)

#2 2011-05-22 17:51:03

archman-cro
Website

Re: [CLOSED]kernel26-ice

Write which interface (wlan) you got and which module/driver do you use. Might be handy for someone to help you.

#3 2011-05-23 00:29:07

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

donde wrote:

Hi all,

i've installed the kernel26-ice with yaourt and put it in grubs menu-lst. it boots successfully, but i have no wlan functionality, why is that and is it worth the work i need to do for that kernel. i didnt really find out whats it for.
someone experiences with tuxnice?

thanks

donde

Read the wiki FIRST before asking questions, please. Why are you even installing it without knowing what its for?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2011-05-23 09:48:58

donde

Ok, i wrote kind of sloppy. I did search the wiki, i know that this kernel is for tuxonice support. It loaded really a lot of modules when yaourt compiled it. But i dont know if its worth using it, others might not be able to answer it...but maybe someone knows if this kernel is deprecated.

When i start the laptop, i get a warning that no wl module is loaded. I dont know which module it loads for my wlan card, i dont understand all that stuff with modules, where can i get the loaded modules output?

Also the kernel but really slow, maybe because of the models. Ill have a look for how i installed the wlan driver, i didnt load the module manually beforehand.

thanks for your help, though!

#5 2011-05-23 12:25:08

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

donde wrote:

Ok, i wrote kind of sloppy. I did search the wiki, i know that this kernel is for tuxonice support. It loaded really a lot of modules when yaourt compiled it. But i dont know if its worth using it, others might not be able to answer it...but maybe someone knows if this kernel is deprecated.

When i start the laptop, i get a warning that no wl module is loaded. I dont know which module it loads for my wlan card, i dont understand all that stuff with modules, where can i get the loaded modules output?

Also the kernel but really slow, maybe because of the models. Ill have a look for how i installed the wlan driver, i didnt load the module manually beforehand.

thanks for your help, though!

You do know about this wonderful tool called google? You've got a few questions there, I'll just answer the first one, no kernel26-ice is not deprecated, I'm the maintainer in AUR in fact, and using it day-to-day.

For the second one, google should help you out.

For the third one, your problem is more likely graphics related. You do know that if you're using proprietary drivers they need to match your kernel version (and the versions from the repos match the stock kernel)?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2011-05-23 14:44:58

donde

Ok, i know that wonderful tool very well, i like to call it asking the oracle.
Ill have a try there.
But i did not know that the proprietary drivers want to know the kernel version. I just wanted to try another kernel to learn about how kernels and modules work. I thought by installing it via yaourt all dependent files would be actualized. It seems to me more the way that i need to configure this new kernel, but i didnt change the stock kernel for wlan, but maybe the stock kernel brings other modules with itself.
when i configured other kernels, or better installed them, i always took the config from the live cd to compile it. this time the case is different, but i thought theyd put into that PKGBUILD this info, but i didnt have a look there, unfortunately. Would have been better to do it the old-school way, but i want to learn about the arch way of installing.
now is it possible to copy the modules and stuff of the stock kernel to the new kernel? Then it should be working as before.
And no, i dont understand why this could be a graphiucs problem.

thanks, donde

#7 2011-05-23 17:19:20

donde

Ok, now i got something:

in my /etc/rc.conf i got the following modules:

MODULES=(lib80211 wl !b43 !ssb)

and also this wl module fails to load during bootup. are the modules kind of installed into the kernel, so that when i switch the kernel i need to install them again? i thought the modules are external. i think i installed something via pacman or yaourt...

#8 2011-05-24 00:30:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

You wish to learn, then? Stop using yaourt, first of all. Then you can look at the kernel26-ice PKGBUILD and see what its doing (its a bash script, so not too hard). Then you can google about kernel compilation, especially the configuration thereoff. Then you can compare the kernel config of the stock Arch kernel with the one in kernel26-ice to see whether the specific module you're looking for is compiled in.

Don't post here again until you've completed all the above. You don't learn by having people tell you answers, you learn by looking for them yourself.

Board footer