You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-29 22:11:36

jonnybarnes
Website

Opening a file with MPlayer in Nautilus

I am running Gnome3 and have mplayer2 installed. I was wondering if its possible to get it so that if I double click a *.mkv or *.avi file in 'Files' then it would be opened with mplayer2.

If I right click and select 'Open with other application' then mplayer isn't an option.

Thanks

#2 2011-05-29 22:37:39

rAX

Re: Opening a file with MPlayer in Nautilus

You can create a text file in /usr/share/applications(or ~/.local/usr/applacations) and name it MPlayer2.desktop

Now edit the file and paste:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=MPlayer2 Media Player
GenericName=Multimedia player
Comment=Play movies and songs
Icon=mplayer
TryExec=mplayer2
Exec=mplayer2
Terminal=false
NoDisplay=true
Categories=GTK;AudioVideo;Audio;Video;Player;TV;
MimeType=application/ogg;application/x-ogg;application/sdp;application/smil;application/x-smil;application/streamingmedia;application/x-streamingmedia;application/vnd.rn-realmedia;application/vnd.rn-realmedia-vbr;audio/aac;audio/x-aac;audio/m4a;audio/x-m4a;audio/mp1;audio/x-mp1;audio/mp2;audio/x-mp2;audio/mp3;audio/x-mp3;audio/mpeg;audio/x-mpeg;audio/mpegurl;audio/x-mpegurl;audio/mpg;audio/x-mpg;audio/rn-mpeg;audio/scpls;audio/x-scpls;audio/vnd.rn-realaudio;audio/wav;audio/x-pn-windows-pcm;audio/x-realaudio;audio/x-pn-realaudio;audio/x-ms-wma;audio/x-pls;audio/x-wav;video/mpeg;video/x-mpeg;video/x-mpeg2;video/mp4;video/msvideo;video/x-msvideo;video/quicktime;video/vnd.rn-realvideo;video/x-ms-afs;video/x-ms-asf;video/x-ms-wmv;video/x-ms-wmx;video/x-ms-wvxvideo;video/x-avi;video/x-fli;video/x-flv;video/x-theora;video/x-matroska;
Name[en_US]=MPlayer2 Media Player

Now mark it as executable, go to your .mkv file and choose 'open with' you should be able to use MPlayer2 now.

Board footer