You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-30 19:46:47

greyhat.goon

Setting Default Applications in gnome 3

I searched around for this, but haven't found a solution yet.  I'm trying
to make vlc my default video application in gnome 3.    If I go to

System Settings -> System Info -> Default Applications and then to Video, there are a few video
players to choose from, but VLC isn't in list.   I do have VLC installed on my machine. 

Thanx.

Last edited by greyhat.goon (2011-05-30 19:47:22)

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes....Thoreau

#2 2011-05-30 20:06:20

dodo3773

Re: Setting Default Applications in gnome 3

greyhat.goon wrote:

I searched around for this, but haven't found a solution yet.  I'm trying
to make vlc my default video application in gnome 3.    If I go to

System Settings -> System Info -> Default Applications and then to Video, there are a few video
players to choose from, but VLC isn't in list.   I do have VLC installed on my machine. 

Thanx.

Getting the same here. The only other one listed for me is Banshee. Perhaps it is because they are both gnome apps. You could always right click the video you want to change the association on and go to properties and change it there.

#3 2011-05-30 20:09:53

Wey

The issue could be a missing desktop file. Verify there is a vlc.desktop in /usr/share/applications or the like. The Exec line needs to state this program can take files:

Exec=vlc %U

It is very likely the same problem as here.

#4 2011-06-28 23:33:47

badhat

I have this same issue, though I checked the exec line and it does have the argument %U...

#5 2011-06-29 03:06:49

ren2r

The issue can be fixed by add "vlc.desktop;" in every video/* line in file "~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list", or in "/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache", I don't recommend to do the second because it is a system wide change and can get troubles.
I did this to make balsa my default mail client.

~/ren2r ...sorry for my bad english

#6 2011-06-29 14:21:37

drahnr

Check out my mplayer2 config file (forked from mplayer .desktop file) (especially the mimetype line is imporant)

[Desktop Entry]
Name=mplayer
GenericName=Media Player
Comment=Play any media
Exec=mplayer %U
Icon=/foo/mplayer_64x64.png
Terminal=false
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
MimeType=application/ogg;application/x-ogg;application/sdp;application/smil;application/x-smil;application/streamingmedia;application/x-streamingmedia;application/vnd.rn-realmedia;application/vnd.rn-realmedia-vbr;audio/aac;audio/x-aac;audio/m4a;audio/x-m4a;audio/mp1;audio/x-mp1;audio/mp2;audio/x-mp2;audio/mp3;audio/x-mp3;audio/mpeg;audio/x-mpeg;audio/mpegurl;audio/x-mpegurl;audio/mpg;audio/x-mpg;audio/rn-mpeg;audio/scpls;audio/x-scpls;audio/vnd.rn-realaudio;audio/wav;audio/x-pn-windows-pcm;audio/x-realaudio;audio/x-pn-realaudio;audio/x-ms-wma;audio/x-pls;audio/x-wav;video/mpeg;video/x-mpeg;video/x-mpeg2;video/msvideo;video/x-msvideo;video/quicktime;video/vnd.rn-realvideo;video/x-ms-afs;video/x-ms-asf;video/x-ms-wmv;video/x-ms-wmx;video/x-ms-wvxvideo;video/x-avi;video/x-fli;video/x-theora;video/x-matroska;video/3gpp;application/x-flash-video;

This will enable it to show up at least in the right click options "open with..." and can be selected as default for the given mimes.

Last edited by drahnr (2011-06-29 14:22:43)

Board footer