You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-30 21:46:04

sheynfinkel

Gnome 3 striped panel using Catalyst driver

I'm currently using the properietary ati catalyst driver by necessity, not choice.  The open source driver does not have good power management and in particular will not control the fan properly.  This is a well known bug and has been acknowledged on this and other forums often.  Honestly, the only reason I can think of for anybody using the open source ati driver is if they 1) have an old gpu 2) are using a desktop pc and don't notice the sound 3) notice the sound and heat but know no better.  After installing gnome 3, the panel ends up looking like this:
striped panel
which isn't even my screenshot.  This was posted on a stackexhange forum and the solution provided was to simply use the open source drivers.
I'm hoping that someone here has found the correct solution, although I'm not even sure if one exists yet.  It's just incredibly strange that gnome 3 would have this sort of problem when no other panel I know of, including Unity, does.

#2 2011-06-01 07:20:47

yell!

Re: Gnome 3 striped panel using Catalyst driver

known bug sad
have to wait a new driver version
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 83#p939083

#3 2011-06-02 08:22:24

Shanto

Re: Gnome 3 striped panel using Catalyst driver

I have seen enough of this. Conclusion is, if you have to use Catalyst (properietary), forget about GNOME Shell for a while. Not only that top panel, but also there exists several corruptions here and there with Mutter(?) + Catalyst. Use the fallback mode if you can't get any further, or better use Compiz+Cairo-Dock to completely replace the GNOME window manager in GNOME/GTK3.

Even if you can get the shell working, it's not worth using it at this stage. Check later. smile

“Never regard study as a duty, but as the enviable opportunity to learn to know the liberating influence of beauty in the realm of the spirit for your own personal joy and to the profit of the community to which your later work belongs.”

Board footer