You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-03 20:06:58

carlo

some very silly questions

hi all, i'm very newbye about arch, and i've tried asking italian forum but with no help..
hope you haven't already been asked:

-as soon as i've installed arch i wanted to update it through pacman -Syu, but most updates were in conflicts with kernel, or many programs were to be replaced by corexx, is it normal?

-'ve dupgraded the kernel, to the 2.6.39, but it seems that the beep disappeared and i have some strange writings while booting
when i do grep PCSPKR to the .config, output is "m"
and when in alsamixer i see no beep tab anymore

-i tried to re-upgrade the kernel, but this time when it boots it says my sda2 (my /boot, which is an ext4 or 3) is an unknown filesystem and i'm lucky i'm provided some emergency console... of course i checked almost every thick when i was in menuconfig, under filesystem

of course i didn't dare install any window manager,
sorry for bothering, can anyone help me understanding what's going on with my machine?
thank you

Last edited by carlo (2011-06-03 20:14:20)

#2 2011-06-03 20:14:29

karol
Archivist

Re: some very silly questions

The kernel is still at .38 so you somehow used the testing repo to install the kernel.

Have you tried 'lsmod | grep pcspkr'? If it returns nothing, run 'modprobe pcspkr' as root.

carlo wrote:

of course i checked almost every thick when i was in menuconfig, under filesystem

Did you install the kernel from source?

Last edited by karol (2011-06-03 20:17:57)

#3 2011-06-03 21:09:16

carlo

karol wrote:

The kernel is still at .38 so you somehow used the testing repo to install the kernel.

i didn't know, i went to the ftp site from the guide and simply chose the latest 2.6.xx

karol wrote:

Have you tried 'lsmod | grep pcspkr'? If it returns nothing, run 'modprobe pcspkr' as root.

so far i've tried modprobe pcspkr only but gave no result

karol wrote:
carlo wrote:

of course i checked almost every thick when i was in menuconfig, under filesystem

Did you install the kernel from source?

yup
i've followed the guide from the wiki
got the tarball, unzipped, etc etc
i've even been able to confiure Grub properly.. cool:cool::cool::cool:

#4 2011-06-03 21:45:00

karol
Archivist

You should read about ABS https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … ild_System too. It make managing your own kernel even easier.
Some packages expect the kernel to be at a certain version - the version from the repos. You need to recompile them if you want to use a different kernel.

I have two computers with two different soundcards: one of them has the beep channel, the other one doesn't. It doesn't matter if I have the pcspkr module loaded or not.

#5 2011-06-03 21:45:10

mhertz

If you're new to arch, then please follow the beginners + official users-guides, and don't begin messing with compiling custom kernels yet, and especially not if you have no reason to i.e. if you don't require another setup than arch's kernel setup...

When you do an install with the official core-iso's, then when afterwards running an update, then you'll get prompted about several packages that has been replaced and you can just select yes to that. If you have installed base-devel from a core-iso, then you'll also get an issue about cloog-ppl or something and can just answer yes to replace that also.

Now it sounds like you have enabled [testing], since the latest udev release dosen't auto-load pcspkr anymore, and so if that's the case then add pcspkr to MODULES in rc.conf and as karol stated, you can run modprobe pcspkr momentarilly to load it, and then you maybe need to run alsamixer and unmute it and turn the vol up(I needed that on my test of this!).

If you want to run the latest kernel, then it would be easier for you to just enable [testing], if you haven't allready, but make sure to monitor arch-dev-public mailing-list for possible breakage and instructions/notifications...

As for your filesystem issue, i'm sorry I cannot help you with...

#6 2011-06-03 22:07:55

carlo

mhertz wrote:

If you're new to arch, then please follow the beginners + official users-guides, and don't begin messing with compiling custom kernels yet, and especially not if you have no reason to i.e. if you don't require another setup than arch's kernel setup...

When you do an install with the official core-iso's, then when afterwards running an update, then you'll get prompted about several packages that has been replaced and you can just select yes to that. If you have installed base-devel from a core-iso, then you'll also get an issue about cloog-ppl or something and can just answer yes to replace that also.

i've started messing with kernel cause guide didn't mention any kernel26 nor core-xx substitution...

mhertz wrote:

Now it sounds like you have enabled [testing], since the latest udev release dosen't auto-load pcspkr anymore, and so if that's the case then add pcspkr to MODULES in rc.conf and as karol stated, you can run modprobe pcspkr momentarilly to load it, and then you maybe need to run alsamixer and unmute it and turn the vol up(I needed that on my test of this!).

what do you mean by momentarily?

mhertz wrote:

If you want to run the latest kernel, then it would be easier for you to just enable [testing], if you haven't allready, but make sure to monitor arch-dev-public mailing-list for possible breakage and instructions/notifications...

i'll do that right now

#7 2011-06-03 22:17:49

mhertz

When you run modprobe pcspkr, then that only is for the current session i.e. when you reboot you will not have pcspkr loaded, so it's monentarilly and not persistent...

If you want pcspkr added to MODULES in rc.conf, then instead of rebooting to take effect, then just run modprobe pcspkr for the current session like karol stated.

#8 2011-06-03 22:18:50

carlo

oki
sorry

#9 2011-06-03 22:20:20

mhertz

No need to be sorry, mate! smile

#10 2011-06-04 10:35:11

carlo

almost solved:
with the 2.6.39.1 the beeeeeeep got back
ext2 3 and 4 are merrily recognized
strange boot writings remain, but i think it's the aliens who are trying to communicate with my cat

Board footer