You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-07 00:10:19

Draucia

Help with network and RAM

After hours of work I managed to install Arch Linux. The problem I have is when I start, it goes through all the daemons (think that's what they are) really fast except network. It says starting network for about 15 whole seconds. After I log in as root (have to for this network thing) I have to type:

wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

than I have to type:

dhcpcd wlan0

To connect to my WPA network. It is troublesome. On the guide it says I can automate it with netcfg or wicd, but I can't figure it out. If I get get some help on that, it'd be great.

The second thing is ram usage. I first installed xfce4 with xfce4-goodies. I was not impressed. The ram usage was just about same as my full out Linux Mint Debian Edition with Gnome version (around 400MB on startup - with gnome compositioning on). When I play runescape in HD, my ram usage goes up to about 1.1GB usage of RAM. I know this isn't a lot but it is about same if not more than LMDE Gnome. I am running 64 bit. The weird thing is, when I run openbox, it's the EXACT SAME ram usage. I don't have a display manager yet and I am doing startxfce4 and the openbox command (don't remember by heart). Isn't Arch supposed to be a super fast boot (I might have some problem with network) and really low on resources?

Last edited by Draucia (2011-06-07 00:12:59)

#2 2011-06-07 00:22:14

stlarch

Re: Help with network and RAM

About the ram, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=943585

edit: Remember to try to search the wiki and forum first before posting.

Last edited by stlarch (2011-06-07 00:27:01)

#3 2011-06-07 01:44:46

Pacopag

Re: Help with network and RAM

For superfast boot, edit /etc/rc.conf and put some daemons in the background using "@".  Here's the relevant line from my /etc/rc.conf

DAEMONS=(hwclock @syslog-ng @network @crond dbus @cups)

Board footer