You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-16 23:03:43

fema

[SOLVED // kinda] Gnome 3, multiple monitors, how to set default

Hi!

First, I'd like to apologize for being a newbie and asking silly questions.

First time in my life I've successfully installed a working (so far? smile) Arch and the only thing that bugs me is that I can't solve my problem about my 2 monitors (an LCD to the left, and a notebook in front of me).
I tried XFCE's built-in program, but it has almost no options at all. Afterwards, I installed Gnome 3 and the multiple display settings look like the one in Windows 7, which in my opinion is a flawless solution.
I easily set the position of the 2 monitors the way I wanted them, but something was wrong. Gnome opened all my windows on the left monitor, which is the worst that could happen, since I obviously don't want to constantly turn my head to the left every time I open a window. I tried to switch the monitors in the program, now the windows are opened in front of me, but now I have to pull the mouse to the right to get to the left monitor. Tricky, but not funny! sad
I searched the web, Arch forums, wiki, but the closest thing I found was about nvidia cards and evdev config (or something like that).

My question is the following: Is it possible to set the windows default opening location (the monitor to be exact)? Or anything that would solve the problem.
If someone could point me to a thread (which I was unable to find) or in case it's not that much of a bother tell me how to do it, I'd really appreciate it.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section again, I always fail in this... hmm

Thanks in advance!]

Last edited by fema (2011-06-18 11:58:40)

#2 2011-06-16 23:39:45

BurntSushi
Website

Re: [SOLVED // kinda] Gnome 3, multiple monitors, how to set default

The answer to this question lies in whatever window manager/desktop environment that you're using. I don't know Gnome 3 or XFCE specifically, but you'll need to look into window placement settings somewhere. Sometimes this is a separate configuration section, and sometimes it's under the heading of "multiple monitors" (like in KDE). Don't be surprised if this configurability doesn't exist in Gnome 3.

In either case, Openbox and/or KDE will provide some small relief here, although in my experience, placement policy concerning multiple monitors hasn't reached an ideal point in non-tiling window managers.

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#3 2011-06-17 10:46:30

fema

Thank you for your help. smile I installed KDE (wow, I haven't seen it for like 10 years) and I found the settings for the windows I was looking for.

I will wait one more day with the SOLVED mark, because I prefer Gnome and XFCE and maybe someone knows of a program for them.

#4 2011-06-17 13:37:09

hokasch

#5 2011-06-18 11:59:48

fema

Thanks, guys, I guess that's all there is to it. I marked the thread solved.

Board footer