You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-20 03:25:56

pottzie

[solved] List of pacman -S variations

This comes just after being helped with another (dumb, newbie) problem. The solution involved invoking pacman -S**

There are so many variations of the -S suffixes. I know -Ss shows which options are available. -Syu upgrades, and evidently so does
-Syyu. There seem to be a lot of options, and when I searched Google just now for "pacman -S**"....it brought up the old pacman game from Atari!

I know there's a list somewhere. I just took a quick (cheap and trashy!) stab at it in the wiki and came up blank. Is there a list of -S suffixes?

Last edited by pottzie (2011-06-20 03:39:29)

#2 2011-06-20 03:26:43

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [solved] List of pacman -S variations

umm yes....

When in doubt look at man pages.

man pacman

Read it well !

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-06-20 03:38:54

pottzie

Sounds like good advice. I'll heed it.....as soon as I get a terminal working! As this is going on, I'm staring at my first look at a window manager on my first install. No working mouse, no working keyboard (yet), but a window manager none the less.
Ctrl/Alt #F1 doesn't work either. Drat!

But it sure answers my question, so I'm marking this solved.

I've done enough damage for one night.  Thanks.

#4 2011-06-20 09:48:43

karol
Archivist

After you've read the manpage you may want to do a

pacman -Sh

if you need just a cheatsheet of sorts.

#5 2011-06-20 21:20:04

wojox

“Simplicity is the key to brilliance.” - Bruce Lee

#6 2011-06-20 22:07:23

karol
Archivist

It would confuse me more than anything else. This page is designed to help people coming from other distros to familiarize themselves with some basic Arch stuff. The examples on this page are sort of cherry-picked and do not show the full scope of pacman / makepkg options - not even the 'pacman -S' ones.

#7 2011-06-21 12:16:06

wojox

karol wrote:

It would confuse me more than anything else. This page is designed to help people coming from other distros to familiarize themselves with some basic Arch stuff. The examples on this page are sort of cherry-picked and do not show the full scope of pacman / makepkg options - not even the 'pacman -S' ones.

That's true. I did learn alot from that page coming from RHEL/Debian. wink
Getting my glasses later this week. Will be able to read posts more clear. Sucks getting old.

“Simplicity is the key to brilliance.” - Bruce Lee

#8 2011-06-22 00:19:02

esuhl

I mostly use the following commands:

pacman -Syu (synchronise package list with servers, then update all outdated packages on system)
pacman -Ss <package_name> (search for <package_name> in package list and display details of matches)
pacman -S <package_name> (install <package_name> and dependencies)
pacman -Qi <package_name> (give details of an installed package, its dependencies, etc.)
pacman -Qo <file_name> (see which package owns the file - i.e. why it was installed)
pacman -Sc (clear the cache of old files - I only use this on my netbook as it has very little disk space)

According to the man pages, "pacman -Syyu" (i.e. two y's) will download package lists even if they appear to be up-to-date.

I also use yaourt to install packages from AUR.  You can use it in the same way as pacman (e.g. yaourt -Syu), but I didn't initially realise that it should never be run as root and that it will install updates from the main repositories (instead of AUR) unless you use the --aur switch like this:

yaourt -Syu --aur

I'm sure you've figured all this out now, but I just thought I'd post in case it helps... :-)

Board footer