You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-26 21:10:09

donniezazen
Website

Software package list for best experience of Arch with Gnome DE.

I have been a long time Ubuntu user but due to power regression issues have to stop using it on new laptop (Thinkpad T420). Arch linux is the obvious choice to try and i did try it this weekend. I like the base and i think i might stay with it. I seems to have far better battery life without any tweaking - low temperature, no fan no TLP no kernel issues so far. I am having problem setting up Arch linux because of its stripped down nature. I guess i will have to read a lot to make it work me.

My question is i might not be having best experience of Arch with gnome. Is their a list or meta package like ubuntu-desktop which will install all/most of the commonly used programs and settings and from their i can customize it? Or is tweaking done in bits and pieces in Arch?

Thanks.

#2 2011-06-26 21:23:04

monshin

Re: Software package list for best experience of Arch with Gnome DE.

There is no meta-package like ubuntu-desktop in Arch. You have to build your system the way you find it most comfortable.

See Archwiki for more information. Here are some articles you will like to read:

-Beginners' Guide
-General Recommendations
-Gnome
-Pulseaudio
-Networkmanager

#3 2011-06-27 03:55:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Software package list for best experience of Arch with Gnome DE.

donniezazen wrote:

I guess i will have to read a lot to make it work me.

QFT

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer