You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-29 17:54:46

natpjohnson

Throughout Arch install system refuses to recognize/connect thru eth0

Hi, new Arch user(kind of) here
I say "kind of" because I cannot get my system to connect to the internet to update or connect to repositories. I wanted to use the net/internet installation method but right at the beginning when selecting the net/internet source for the install, I only have the option "wlan0 blahdeblah numbers". My wireless is password protected to it can't just automatically scan and get my wireless. I've noticed that on every installation video and guide that uses the net/internet source, they all have "eth0 blahdeblah numbers". I have the ethernet cable plugged in, so its not that. But after not finding a way around it, I just decided to use the core iso install. So I did, and went through the whole deal and it installed, I edited the rc.conf file to have my hostname, added "wlan0" to interfaces and so on. On the mirrors conf file I selected some mirrors close to me and what not. Now Arch is installed and since I ran the core iso instead of net, I needed to update through pacman. so I type "pacman -Syu" and I just get a load of TRANSIENT RESOLVER FAILURE. So when I check to see if it is recognizing eth0, it says that there is no such device.

I kind of need it to connect to the internet to install a graphical interface and stuff, and this is a deal breaker. I checked my ethernet card and its a broadcom, but the Arch wiki doesn't list my card model for a module anyway.
Im using a Lenovo Ideapad y460i if that matters.

Thanks for any help given

#2 2011-06-29 18:08:53

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Throughout Arch install system refuses to recognize/connect thru eth0

what's the output of

ifconfig -a

Have you added network to the DAEMONS array in rc.conf?
Try restarting the network by

# /etc/rc.d/network restart

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-06-29 20:57:23

natpjohnson

Inxsible wrote:

what's the output of

ifconfig -a

Have you added network to the DAEMONS array in rc.conf?
Try restarting the network by

# /etc/rc.d/network restart

When I run ifconfig -a, I get a lo loopback and

wlan0  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 8C:A9:82:9B:29:5C
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0b)

and I think my rc.conf file already had "network" added to the DEAMONS

and when I restart network with that command, it tells me that eth0 is an unknown interface and there is no such device. I also get another lo loopback

Edit: On a sidenote, Im having to type up the results, so indentation and spacing may be a little off.

Last edited by natpjohnson (2011-06-29 21:00:27)

#4 2011-06-29 22:45:44

hokasch

My wireless is password protected to it can't just automatically scan and get my wireless.

You can set up wireless from commandline, the needed packages are on the core iso (and available in the live environment).

Can you get the exact model from lspci?

#5 2011-06-30 03:43:51

ewaller
Administrator

hokasch wrote:

My wireless is password protected to it can't just automatically scan and get my wireless.

You can set up wireless from commandline, the needed packages are on the core iso (and available in the live environment).

Can you get the exact model from lspci?

Or, even better, lspci -nn  ??

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2011-06-30 03:46:31

ewaller
Administrator

natpjohnson wrote:

[...Edit: On a sidenote, Im having to type up the results, so indentation and spacing may be a little off.

Can you copy them to a flash drive??

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2011-06-30 17:42:43

natpjohnson

Okay, so my problem was that I had an ethernet card that wasn't supported automatically by the main iso download on the downloads page. I went into a .edu ftp and downloaded the latest ARCHBOOT iso and used that. Thanks for the replies, though.

Board footer