You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-01 21:42:50

Xenphor

Need help with post installation (gstreamer/xfce4/flash)

I am using xfce4 and not much else. I just followed the wiki up to the end where I installed X Windows, Intel Drivers, and the Desktop Environment. I was able to get archlinux up and running mostly but there are a couple of problems.

The first thing is that xfce4-goodies will not install with "pacman -S xfce4-goodies" (defaults) because of this error:

error: failed retrieving file 'udisks-1.0.3-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz (all 5 mirrors failed)

I believe it has something to do with the xfce4-power-manager plugin because I tried installing others seperately and they seemed to work. Unfortunately, all the plugins can't be installed automatically because udisks fails to download.

Another problem is that I want to use the gstreamer plugins along with the totem plugin for firefox, but I get an error when doing "pacman -S gstreamer0.10-plugins" (defaults).

error: failed retrieving file 'jack-0.121.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz (all 5 mirrors failed)

Same problem as with xfce4; nothing is installed because one package fails. I should note that I used Reflector to make sure my mirrors were up to date.

Finally, the flash plugin works in firefox but I get a problem where the video stops playing after about 5-10 seconds after launching. The audio keeps playing fine and the video may come back after awhile, but then it stops again. I have the intel video driver installed and read in the wiki that there is not much configuring to do for that. Glx gears reports around 311 frames at 60 fps (same as in the wiki).

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Xenphor (2011-07-01 21:48:39)

#2 2011-07-01 22:07:39

Wey

Re: Need help with post installation (gstreamer/xfce4/flash)

For the retrieving issue update your system first. Based on your local database pacman is querying udisks-1.0.3-3 and jack-0.121.1-1 where the servers are holding udisks-1.0.3-4 etc.

#3 2011-07-01 22:12:17

karol
Archivist

If you can't properly update, you may want to get a fresh mirrorlist http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

#4 2011-07-01 22:28:15

Xenphor

Okay, thank you for the help. I did "pacman -Syy" and "pacman -Syu" and I was then able to install xfce4-goodies and gstreamer plugins.

I guess that just leaves the problem with Flash then. I am using the totem plugin now in firefox and the video seems good, so I'm not sure what's going on. Flash works pretty well in Fedora and other linux distributions on this computer so I guess I'm not doing something right.

Last edited by Xenphor (2011-07-01 22:35:44)

#5 2011-07-01 23:05:42

Wey

As far as i know only the proprietary nvidia driver supports vdpau for hardware acceleration in flash at the moment. As you said you are using an intel chipset, check if hardware acceleration is disabled in the right click preferences menu of arbitrary flash content.

#6 2011-07-01 23:51:34

Xenphor

Well actually I'm not sure what changed but now flash seems to be working pretty well. I don't know if downloading all those gstreamer plugins had an affect or not because that's the only thing I did before testing flash again. I didn't do anything else.

I did check to see if hardware acceleration was on and it was. As far as I know the Intel open source driver does not need to be configured any further after installation so I didn't try editing any xorg config files.

I did have another question though. In xfce4, what is the command to kill the xserver? In other distributions that used other DE's such as Gnome, I would type "sudo service gdm stop" and that would do it. I'm using Slim as my display manager if that matters.

Last edited by Xenphor (2011-07-01 23:55:03)

Board footer