You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-14 08:23:19

lunamystry

Partition overlap after moving partitions

Hi

I am trying to install Arch with my Ubuntu. I am afraid of cfdisk so I decided to to partition my drive using the Kubuntu live desktop image. My original partition is:
I have an 80G hard drive and had 14G for Ubuntu root  (/), 2G for swap and the rest for /home. I changed the partition to look as shown below. I basically reduced the /home partition by about 2G and moved it to right, I then also reduced the ubuntu root partition to about 8G. I then partitioned the freed up space to ext4 for arch.  My new partition table looks like this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|                   |                                                                                                                                                     |
|                   |                                                       80G whole disk                                                                      |
|   Dell info   |                                                              /dev/sda3                                                                        |
|123MB FAT |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  /dev/sda1 |      ubuntu          |              arch          |                      home                                  |                      |                                                                         
|                  |      9.5G ext4      |           7.7G ext4     |                   61G ext4                                |     2G swap    |                                                         
|                  |      /dev/sda6      |            /dev/sda8    |                   /dev/sda7                               |    /dev/sda5   |     
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(I got this from disk utility in Ubuntu)

Now my problem is that when I try to install Arch on /dev/sda8 I get an cfdisk "FATAL ERROR: Bad logical partition 6". I am guessing that this is caused by the fact that I am missing /dev/sda{2,4} and that /dev/sda{6,8,7,5} are not in order.

- How can I get them in order?

- Can I ignore this and just tell arch to make /dev/sda8 the root file system (/) and mount /dev/sda7 as /var/data in arch and leave it as /home in Ubuntu?

#2 2011-07-14 13:43:10

jeslinmx

Re: Partition overlap after moving partitions

In this case I would suggest using the UUIDs to specify your partitions. Have you tried?

Lenovo Y450 + Arch x86_64 dual boot with Windows 7 + Openbox standalone + Arch default kernel + Nouveau + yours truly = A lot of *****in' in the Arch Forums.

#3 2011-07-15 11:03:30

lunamystry

Re: Partition overlap after moving partitions

Thank you for the reply, I have not tried UUID's. I don't know about them.

I fixed the problem by using the Kubuntu disk to move the arch partition to be just before the swap and then I formatted the swap to swap and for some reason that worked. It seems the naming of the devices depends on time.

Thank you

Board footer