You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-15 19:50:57

NoxSec

Arch/Backtrack Dual Boot Questions

Ok, I am about to setup a dual boot on my laptop running arch as my main distro, and backtrack for learning stuff. However, I have never dual booted two linux partitions before. I looked on the wiki only really only found information dual booting with windows. I know backtrack 5 comes with grub 2. I don't think arch does at the moment. So, I am not sure which one I should install first, and how I would go about setting every thing up nicely. Also, at first I wanted to use only one home folder for both, but realized that would get pretty messy with configs and such. So now I thing I am going to use separate home partitions. However, I still want to accolade most of my disk space to the arch home folder. I would need to be able to access large files, such as word lists, from the arch home to backtrack. Which I know is possible, but I am not sure how.

So, in short
1. Which should I install first to make life easier?
2. How can I access files from one another?

I really appreciate any advice.

edit: I am going to wait until bt5r1 comes out to do this.

Last edited by NoxSec (2011-07-20 13:20:35)

#2 2011-07-15 19:59:47

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Arch/Backtrack Dual Boot Questions

1) Even though Arch still uses grub legacy, grub2 works as well. so install Arch and then backtrack, so you have grub2, then add the necessary configuration in grub2.cfg for Arch
2) This shouldn't be a problem as you can simply mount the said partition and access whatever files you want.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer