You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-24 17:21:19

fax8
Website

firefox 5 and thunderbird 5 association

Hi everybody,

this is becoming a little nightmare for me. Everytime firefox or thunderbird gets updated their association (open a link on an email with firefox) gets lost.
I was the one having troubles when we got firefox 4 and now that we have firefox 5 and thunderbid 5 things got even worst.

I tried all the suggestions in the ff4 post, of course changing ff's path to the new /usr/lib/firefox-5.0/firefox but with no luck..

So, here I'm once again asking for help to you guys.
How the hell can I configure thunderbird 5 to open links in firefox 5? No gnome here, just KDE.

Thanks,

Fabio

#2 2011-07-24 18:41:03

MoonSwan

Re: firefox 5 and thunderbird 5 association

Enter KDE's control panel and look for the title on the left pane that indicates mime associations (sorry not on kde atm so I can't tell you the exact location).  Once there you can edit and delete/make new mime associations.  You'll see many apps that have a default list of programs kde will try to use when opening certain filetypes.

For example, if you click on the entry for "text" you'll see on the right side that it will open with Kate,nano and Kwrite IIRC.  You can push one of those to the top of the pile to make it the default app that will open up when you double click a text file.

I hope this helps, you can check the KDE docs to find what I'm talking about in a clearer fashion, just search for "mime extensions" I believe is the heading.

#3 2011-07-25 09:58:16

fax8
Website

I looked under KDE's systems settings -> File Associations and there I find a list of all known types with the associated program. This however seems to be associated with files, not URLs browsed from Thunderbird... the most appropriate file types seems to be under "uri" in the list, but there are no signs of http or https there.

What should I do?

#4 2011-07-25 15:32:24

virusso80

did you try setting firefox as network.protocol.handler.app.xxx in config editor in thunderbird?

#5 2011-07-29 09:12:33

fax8
Website

@virusso80 there's no such setting in Thunderbird 5.

Board footer