You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-01 16:47:16

szim90

Shutdown Messages Printed to TTY7 when shutting down from Xfce + Slim

Hello,

When I shutdown from Xfce directly (using the logout dialog), the system switches to tty1, but prints shutdown messages to tty7. If I shutdown directly from my display manager (Slim) or from another tty, shutdown messages appear on tty1 as expected.

Similar problems have been reported by GDM users, and they all appeared to be resolved by starting GDM from inittab:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=64257

Unfortunately, my system is already launching Slim from inittab, and the problem is still there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this might be fixed?

Regards,
szim90

PS. Though I'm not sure if it's relevant, the command used to launch slim from inittab is:
x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >/dev/null 2>&1

And the slim login command is:
login_cmd           exec ck-launch-session /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session

#2 2011-08-01 16:58:29

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Shutdown Messages Printed to TTY7 when shutting down from Xfce + Slim

it might be due to the fact that VERBOSE is now deprecated in rc.conf.

If you don't like seeing it on tty7, try adding a "quiet" without quotes to your kernel line in grub.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-08-01 17:15:51

szim90

Re: Shutdown Messages Printed to TTY7 when shutting down from Xfce + Slim

Thanks for the suggestion Inxsible. No luck, though - adding a quiet does not resolve the problem.

This has been a problem since before the initscripts upgrade (though I can't give an exact date, it has been a problem since I setup my Arch system, at least two weeks ago).

Regards,
szim90

Board footer