You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-24 21:04:32

taseis

[SOLVED] Epson Workforce 610 Wireless install with Arch

I hope I am posting in the right place. I am a big nooooob. I have used several distros in the past but nothing this cool.

I just installed Arch but I am a bit stuck on getting my wireless printer working. I have the scan setup and it works. I used to cups wiki (wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cups#Installing) for the install but I am having trouble with it because I need the x86_64 driver which is an rpm. I finally was able to download rpm2targz but I can't figure out how to use it. Please let me know what info you need to help and I will gladly post it. I have spent several days installing and uninstalling different things listed in the wiki to no avail. I am sure I am not following the process right but it is mind boggling.

When I open the cups-localhost it gives me this error [There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'failed to connect to server'.]

Thanks in advance

Last edited by taseis (2011-08-27 01:31:33)

My new favorite sport is Archery

#2 2011-08-24 21:37:36

Frankston

Re: [SOLVED] Epson Workforce 610 Wireless install with Arch

Hi,

When I open the cups-localhost it gives me this error [There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'failed to connect to server'.]

First of all, are you sure the cups daemon is running? Check if cupsd is listed if you run

rc.d list started

from the command line.

If yes, have you tried installing the appropriate driver for your printer from AUR?

Cheers
  -Frank

Don't talk about heroes - be one.

#3 2011-08-24 21:47:57

taseis

Thanks Frank. I will double check this when I get home from work and let you know.
I tried installing the drivers, but my specific driver is an RPM. I will provide more details with the process I followed and links this evening.

taseis

#4 2011-08-24 21:59:09

Frankston

You're welcome :-)
As I said, try to install the driver from the AUR. You may want to check this article in the wiki on how to do that.
I have an Epson (wireless) printer as well (Stylus SX420W, to be precise) and was at first confused because the "official" drivers from the Avasys website are only available as .rpm or .deb. But there was also a package for Arch in the AUR which works just perfect.

#5 2011-08-24 22:05:40

taseis

Thanks. I will.

#6 2011-08-24 23:16:28

taseis

I checked something out from work that you may be able to assist me with for when I get home. Let me know if I followed the process wrong.

- I checked the AUR for the workforce 610 driver here  - http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O … _Search=Go
- When I found the driver, I clicked on it and it took me here - http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=42409
- When I click on the first clickable link, it takes me here - http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/downl … kjet/escp/ which is the proprietary AVASYS site I believe. This site lists my x86_64 driver as an rpm.
- The second link is called PKBUILD, which is text.
- The 4th link (after cups) is the source rpm, which I think is what I need but it is still an rpm.

Do I need to find a way to convert that source rpm to a tarball and then follow the process in the wiki or do I work with the text in the PKBUILD link?

It looks like I could do it if I had a tarball. The wiki you sent me looks like it has good instructions to follow.

Thanks

#7 2011-08-25 00:56:38

taseis

Here is the output I get from rc.d list started

[STARTED][AUTO] crond
[STARTED][AUTO] dbus
[STARTED][AUTO] fam
[STARTED][AUTO] gdm
[STARTED][AUTO] netfs
[STARTED][AUTO] network
[STARTED][    ] rpcbind
[STARTED][AUTO] syslog-ng

I tried to restart cups with sudo cupsd restart and it gave me this error

cupsd: error while loading shared libraries: libgnutls.so.28: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I am sure cups is installed.

Thx

#8 2011-08-25 06:09:23

Frankston

taseis wrote:

I tried to restart cups with sudo cupsd restart and it gave me this error

cupsd: error while loading shared libraries: libgnutls.so.28: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That is acutally strange. Have you installed gnutls? Are you on a 32 or 64 bit system?

taseis wrote:

I checked something out from work that you may be able to assist me with for when I get home. Let me know if I followed the process wrong.

- I checked the AUR for the workforce 610 driver here  - http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O … _Search=Go
- When I found the driver, I clicked on it and it took me here - http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=42409

So far so good. :-)

taseis wrote:

- When I click on the first clickable link, it takes me here - http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/downl … kjet/escp/ which is the proprietary AVASYS site I believe. This site lists my x86_64 driver as an rpm.
- The second link is called PKBUILD, which is text.
- The 4th link (after cups) is the source rpm, which I think is what I need but it is still an rpm.

Do I need to find a way to convert that source rpm to a tarball and then follow the process in the wiki or do I work with the text in the PKBUILD link?

It looks like I could do it if I had a tarball. The wiki you sent me looks like it has good instructions to follow.

Well, almost. You obviously missed out one link which is the correct one. You need to download the Tarball, it's the link left to the PKGBUILD link (it's like Tarball :: PKGBUILD).

When you downloaded it, extract it, cd to the directory created and run

makepkg -s

This will build you an installable package in the same directory which you can install running

sudo pacman -U [packagename]

afterwards. Wrapped up, these are about the steps described in the AUR article of the Wiki.

But first of all, we will need your cupsd to be up and running. Check if gnutls is installed. If not, install it. If yes, reinstall it, then try to start cups again.

#9 2011-08-25 14:15:26

taseis

I can't wait to try it but I have to run to work. We must be on different schedules and time zones : )
I feel like such a goof missing that other link. I bet that is my only hang-up. I am running a 64 bit system and have loaded the gnutls.
Let me see how it goes when I get back.

Take care

#10 2011-08-25 17:05:43

Frankston

We definitely are in different timezones. I'm in Germany here.

BTW, I found this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cu … ith_gnutls. Seems to be exaclty the problem you're experiencing with cups. So try updating gnutls running

sudo pacman -S gnutls

That should help.

#11 2011-08-27 01:26:02

taseis

That seemed to be the problem alright. I had to re-install gnutls as stated above. I kept getting an error, so I re-installed cups as well. Once I re-installed the gnutls, I installed the printer driver as you said.
This line

Tarball :: PKGBUILD

on this website http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=42409 actually is 2 links. Click on the first half that says Tarball.

From there (as Frank and the wiki says), When you downloaded it, extract it, cd to the directory created and run

makepkg -s

This will build you an installable package in the same directory which you can install running

sudo pacman -U [packagename]

To start cups

/etc/rc.d/cups start

Then add it to your daemons like this so it restarts every time your computer boots up or you will wonder why you can't print after restart

sudo nano /etc/rc.conf

Then list cupsd in the portion of the rc.conf file. Example - DAEMONS=(pcmcia syslogd klogd !fam esd mono network autofs cupsd crond gdm)

That is it! Problem solved!

Frank,

Thank you for all your help. I learned alot and understand the wikis alot better as well.

Have an Awesome weekend!

taseis

Last edited by taseis (2011-08-27 01:27:21)

#12 2011-08-27 22:52:22

Frankston

You're welcome smile

Board footer